Fly Boy Playing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Jumped out of my skin last night...just found out what it was.

Sonic boom felt in Bay area
Friday, March 11, 2005

If you heard and felt a large rumble just after 7:30 Friday night, you're not alone.

The event sent rumors circulating across the Bay area. The effects were were reported from Manatee County to Crystal River, and even Tallahassee.

Bay area residents speculated everthing from earthquakes to UFOs.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration, the large rumbling was a sonic boom from two F-18 jets flyling too fast and too low into MacDill Air Force Base.

Bay news 9 also learned the booms were so loud that the vibrations registered a 2.7 on the Richter 5 scale as recorded by the National Earthquake Center in Denver, Colorado.

This is what a sonic boom looks like, up close and personal.

Cool huh?

I dont quite understand how the pilots didn realize what tehy were doing. I believe they are suppost to come under the speed of sound way out in the water, and get a cue from ATC. If they were to close,they should jsut have turned around, it would have taken all of 3 min.

Lil' Irish Temper:
This is what a sonic boom looks like, up close and personal.

Actually that image is not of a sonic boom. You can see the same phenomena from sub-sonic flybys of jets. What is happening is that the passage of the aircraft is causing a low-pressure region in the air around the plane, and in the low pressure area the moisture in the air (humidity) is condensing into a cloud that follows the aircraft. It is almost as if the jet is wearing a tu-tu as it is zoming along.

Slightly farther back behind the jet, the air pressure has normalized, and the water vapor is back into the invisible vapor state.

Sometimes, even on commercial jets in humid conditions, you can look out on the wing and see similar "cloud areas" on the wings.

Taking off my professor hat now...

cdiver2:
Jumped out of my skin last night...just found out what it was.

Sonic boom felt in Bay area
Friday, March 11, 2005

So THAT's what that was! I was wondering why our windows were shaking (we're up by the 275/75 junction in Tampa).

Funny, didn't really "hear" anything on the local news about it...

SubMariner:
So THAT's what that was! I was wondering why our windows were shaking (we're up by the 275/75 junction in Tampa).

Funny, didn't really "hear" anything on the local news about it...

the bay news 9 web site

If you enjoyed that, wail till the shuttle starts flying again.. when it goes over in route to KSC, it drops a double sonic boom (BOOM-BOOM) that'll make you pause if your not expecting it.

CBulla:
If you enjoyed that, wail till the shuttle starts flying again.. when it goes over in route to KSC, it drops a double sonic boom (BOOM-BOOM) that'll make you pause if your not expecting it.

the first time I heard it (not knowing what it was) my first thought was the pool pump has blown up cheeked it no then it must have been the breaker box blowing up no. It was not until I got to work that someone told me what it was.

Back
Top Bottom