Flower Gardens trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've signed up for a three day FGs trip with Caribbean Dive Shop out of Metairie, LA, July 30-Aug 1. I'm just putting out a feeler to see if anyone from DFW might be interested in the trip and in carpooling to Freeport with me. If so, I'd love to hear from you.

I've always wondered how this works with regard to trips being blown out by weather. Do you have the money to go on three different trips if they all come through or are you assuming one or more will get cancelled?

I think a closer read and you'll see he didn't sign up for three trips but for one 3-day trip.

The Fling will make the Go or No Go call by noon on departure night so you should have time to abort before hitting the road. If the trip is cancelled you'll get your money back or you can roll over to another trip. If the trip is shortened they will try to make a fair compensation depending on situation but this is pretty rare since they look at the forecast for the full trip in making the initial call.

Yup, misread but still, I've always wondered about this. People sign up for trips and slots fill up.... does the "roll over" work? Or is it pretty much sad for all involved ( no $$$ for boat and no N2 for the diver. ) Are there enough slots to roll over?

I think full boat trips are pretty rare. More spring trip are cancelled than go. But summer trips are really quite reliable. I have had a few trips cancelled and never had any problem getting on another trip. Now, if you are looking at the last trip of the season... - there is always next year.

The bright side of cancelled trips - you really don't want to be out there when the gulf is not cooperating. I have done a few dives in conditions where we probably should not have been diving. It's not to bad until you get to the part about getting back on the boat.

These days there are usually plenty of slots available, sad to say. Not everyone will be able to make it on the same time so they roll over to different trips. Only really a problem near the end of the season when there are few trips remaining.

Yup, it's a three-day trip, not three daytrips. That would be quite a trick, considering it takes seven hours to get on-station on Flower Gardens East (and about the same back, of course).

July trips are fairly reliable...however, there was that one in July when Hurricane Dolly chased us out of the Gulf. I've only had one other FG July trip blown out, though.

By the way...let me think about it and check my calendar. I may be interested in the trip mentioned.

Bill

Well, I can certainly say that once I get some more cash accumulated I'll be taking a FG trip. I've been meaning to do it since 2003. :(

I had one paid for in 2010 when BP ruined my plans so I've been looking forward to this. Bill, keep me posted. It would be great to dive with someone that's been there alot.

I checked the calendar, and it looks pretty good, so I'm more and more interested. I'll check with the shops for berth availability as the next step. Looking forward to getting out there!

Back
Top Bottom