Flower Garden Banks - March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gurnie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Making my first trip down to the Flower Garden Banks aboard the Fling next month. Sounds like the temps range from mid 60s to low 70s that time of year. Was thinking about bringing the drysuit, is this overkill? What is the "norm" down there?

60's or low 70's??? I'd be dry. Not that I can't tolerate diving wet in the 60's, but I know I wouldn't get cold in my drysuit.

Dry with plenty of thermal. Wet may be OK for a couple dives but you will be glad you are dry after 5.

That is a tough time of year with less than 25% of the trips going. Do you have a plan B?

I may need to think about a plan b, I know the charter this weekend was blown out.. We fly out of Chicago early on a Friday morning, from what I understand they make the call around 1pm if it is a go / no go. Would hate to get down there, and having to pay to get 50lbs + gear to be stuck on dry land. Fingers crossed and looking forward to it..

I may need to think about a plan b, I know the charter this weekend was blown out.. We fly out of Chicago early on a Friday morning, from what I understand they make the call around 1pm if it is a go / no go. Would hate to get down there, and having to pay to get 50lbs + gear to be stuck on dry land. Fingers crossed and looking forward to it..

That time of year it is much more likely the trip will be cancelled than it will go. I have heard that the go percentage is closer to 10% than the 25% I used. Most who have to fly in for an FGB trip are much better off in July or August where around 90% go and those that don't are often very predictable tropic storms that kill them.

The draw for March was the chance to get some quality images of the hammerhead sharks...

OP---more than the water temps, pray for good seas.....The Gulf can be VERY bad(wave wise) that time of year...You've heard of what March winds bring???...:)....good luck & have a great trip----one you'll(probably) remember for a while......

If March is "iffy" then when is the best (highest probability) season for Flower Garden Banks?

July, August, September.

July, August, September.

& I can you, this fella(ie Wookie) should know.......right Wook??-------nothing like 25 to 35 knot winds starring you in the face.....lol

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom