Flounder and Mirrors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvanant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While in Bonaire a few months ago, we discovered that not only pike blennies and sailfin blennies have fun with mirrors, so do flounders. I was surprised that they would spend so much time looking at themselves and running behind the mirror to check out where did that guy go?

Check out the video (shot an narrated by my wife, I wish I had her talent) at
http://www.blueviews.net/assets/videos/bonaire10_rubblerocks_640x360.mov

Bill

Awesome video ! Very entertaining. Bill, I hope to stop by the new store in the next couple of weeks, and shake your hand !

Woww,
that's an awsome video and me too wish i had her talent!

That's a nice idea for getting fishes out of their houses!

Chris

That video is great. I have got spend some more time the shallows. Thanks for sharing.

Ok I will be the Scrooge here. While the video is very good, using a mirror is inducing "fight or flight" behavior to get a shot. That is inducing stress to get a shot. While it is better than physically manipulating the fish to get the behavior there is part of me that is a little uncomfortable with this.

Lovely camera work and editing. I used to keep flatfish for behaviorial studies. I'm not a huge proponent of inducing animals to produce display, or exhibit territorial behaviors. However, there are probably millions of betta fish being shown their images everyday too.

X

Last edited:
Wow! Totally awesome video! White balance, color sat, focus, depth of field, narration, and a perfect selection of background music! This is some terrific stuff - thanks for sharing - makes me want to go back to Bonaire tomorrow. Love your video, and your narrator is terrific, too!
:uwphotographer:

Fantastic, thanks so much for putting that together. My wife very much wants to go back to Bonaire because the diving is sooo easy.

and a perfect selection of background music!
I thought that was the only flaw. To each his own, I guess.

Bvanant, how many dives did it take to compile the video?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom