Florida's Ten Worst Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter, Walter, Walter. There is nothing wrong with someone not caring for a dive site that you like. To each his own.

No arguments there, my dear friend.

Has anybody gone diving in the mangroves???

Gosh, that can be an incredibly fun and interesting experience!!!

I used to ride my bicycle to Pennekamp with my snorkel stuff in the basket, and snorkel the mangroves around their lagoon. I used to bring non-diving out of town friends there as well. You don't need a dive operator to do it! :)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Blue Herion Bridge.

Everytime I dive it, everyone makes a big deal about it, and it sucked everytime! lol

I don't know what makes that such a great dive everyone brags about around here, I just dont get it

I wondered the same thing... I started writing a post about BHB, but then I got sidetracked (it was supper time) and I never finished the post.

What's the big deal about it? It's a photographer's dream. You see more interesting sea life there than any other place in Florida. If someone knows a place better than BHB... I'd love to try it out.

Where else do you see Sea Horses, Pipe Fish, Flying Gyunards, Batfish, decorator crabs, Sea Robins, Spotted Eagle Rays, Snake Eels, Green Puffer, etc... I've never had a boring dive at BHB. I either see something new, something interesting, or something amazing on every dive. You just have to look around.

I've seen the viz range from 2-100+ feet.

btw... I'll be there again this weekend.

BHB definitely needs to be part of the 10 best sites.

Al

Jules Undersea Lodge. It costs $35+ to dive in a 5 - 15 foot viz cesspool with no life. Yuck.

Jules Undersea Lodge. It costs $35+ to dive in a 5 - 15 foot viz cesspool with no life. Yuck.

There's actually a great deal of life, some of it you won't see out on the reefs. I do think it's kinda ghetto though.

Completely disagree with you re: Molasses Reef... Any site can get old if you dive it enough, however, that'll take some doing with Molasses... Calling it one of the 10 worst sites in Florida is a major stretch... It's still pristine, full of life, and incredibly simple to navigate its channel...

I agree. And so do the DM's in Key Largo. Molasses can always "salvage" a day of diving when the customers aren't really thrilled with the first dive.

The viz can be decent if you get in the water BEFORE the IE class does!
eek.gif

Dives are like wine, women, steak, cheese, and beer. All are good some are just better than others.

There is no such thing as a bad dive or a bad dive site.
I spent three years trying to find a bad beer in Belgium... failed. I've been on the hunt for that bad dive site for four decades. So far, I've always managed to find something that made every site special and worthwhile. It's a matter of focus, I reckon :D
Rick

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom