Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
A buddy and me are going down to the springs next weekend. I am new with about 20 dives under my belt, he is an instructor and cave diver. We are planning on going to Ginnie and Blue Grotto, but would also like to hit some of the other local (Branford, Williston) springs (read, much cheaper or free)springs for easy and/or night dives. I have read up on the area a good bit but he has not been down there in a couple years and we are not sure what other dives would be good.

We are not doing anything wacky or out of my league, strictly open water or easy cavern stuff. I would really like a few shallow, clear, but interesting dives. Thanks.

Tommy

See: http://www.gue.com/sites/index.html

For information on the springs in the area you're going to.

The Peacock Spring system has a charge to get in, but I think it's much less than Ginnie (been over a year since I was down there). Orange Grove Sink would be an OK open water dive, just go down to the sink and brush the duckweed away and figure out how you're going to get in BEFORE you gear up. Peacock I's basin you could muck around in a bit but it's not that large. Cow is free, and would be an OK open water dive too.

Forget Telford, the basin is the size of a kiddie wading pool and about four feet deep! Same with Little River, its basin is larger than Telford, but is still very small.

If you got any further questions feel free to ask 'em!

Roak

At the Dive Outpost (about a mile from Peacock on the way back to Luraville) you can get a map of all the springs in Florida and it includes suggestions on which ones are good for open water diving. I think you can also pick up the map at Ginnie.

Unless you're planning on cave/cavern diving, Ginnie isn't worth the steep entrance fee though the conveniences there are nice. Peacock is a fun site and very reasonable at the $5 daily entrance fee. I've heard of people scared off by the gator signs at Peacock but I think the little kids at Ginnie are a bigger hazard.

Remember to check out the Suawannee and Santa Fe Rivers if you are in the area. The tannic water is fun and there is a good chance you'll make an archeological discovery.

Brady,you're right about the Sante Fe,that's the river Ginnie flows into .There are a lot of unpublished places to dive there.We go occasionally to drift the river in canoes and kayaks.In 5to 25 ft of water you get a lot of bottom time.Ned DeLoaches book Underwater Florida gives great tips.

Is not an option to dive unless you are a cave diver and member of NSS-CDS.

If you only have twenty or so dives under your belt Ginnie Springs is a good start, it's easy, safe and a little scary. It is a little expensive, but there are other sites on the property you can dive, get tuned in and build your confidence. The whole of Northern Florida is a great big aquifer, Ned DeLoach's " Diving Guide to Underwater Florida " would be a good book to pick up. Have fun, but be careful, a lot of divers have lost their lives in Springs and Caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom