Florida shrimp ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello yesterday I came across an anemone that had a few little shrimp on it. The black/white one I believe is a squatting/sexy shrimp(middle) but have no clue of the clear one (left). About 22’ of water on south Florida reef.

B901097B-3524-4222-AF0A-0AD4E01E1212.png

59E7D734-4A7D-43EB-B50E-CA160480D9DD.jpeg

Ancylomenes pedersoni, an active little cleaner shrimp that lives in anemones.

Pederson shrimp? I can hardly see it in this photo. Did it have purplish points?

I don’t believe so but maybe it did I really was more focused on the squating shrimp and just spotted the clear after I downloaded the pics from the GoPro

Last edited:
@Nick Steele
The one to the right of your photo is a Squat Shrimp.
The other one is most likely a Penderson Shrimp. I can’t see enough detail to be fully confident about the second shrimp. If it’s not a Penderson, it’s an anemone cleaner shrimp. Did you see any pink spots on the left shrimp? If so, it’s a cleaner. Pendersons tend to prefer Corckscrew anemones, but they adapt.
Where in FL did you spot these?
Cheers,
Ricardo

Last edited:
Here is a macro shot of a Squat Shrimp, followed by an Anemone Shrimp and last but not least, a Penderson Shrimp.
213D6C35-DEB3-4114-9263-D4B42B4B6DB4.jpeg

8F804454-3FA0-4A16-9F55-B82A5A88578F.jpeg

66929EF4-8E6B-45BC-B642-0B240190BA41.jpeg

Most likely a Spotted Cleaner Shrimp ,Periclimenes yucatanicus more commonly associated with the Giant Anemone, than a Pederson Shrimp,Periclimenes pedersoni . Tough to be certain without a more detailed close up.

Back
Top Bottom