Florida Sea Base seeking Scuba Staff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define "drugs".

Alcohol is a drug, as is nicotine. Both are accepted by society but a drug nonetheless.

I'd like to think that, as a professional, you're responsible enough to have common sense.

I wouldn't want someone who's under the influence to take care of children but a glass of beer or a joint consumed the evening before would not be an issue for me.

Probably an European thing.

I think they mostly test for methamphedamines, cocaine, THC and opiate metabolites.

One has to look at this position to a great extent as an act of volunteerism. The monetary rewards certainly don't compensate for the number of hours put in. The real rewards are in guiding boys and young men on some of the most memorable adventures of their life and introducing many to an activity that can give them a lifetime of enjoyment. It's a summer job. Not a career. You won't support a family on this job. The boys will remember you and what you did for them forever. I can understand the Eagle Scouts getting preference in selection for the position because they remember and appreciate what the adult leaders gave in order to lead them toward the Eagle Award. You've got to be in a certain place in life where you can be free to do it without injury to yourself or those holding prior claims on you -- and your heart's got to be in the right place. Some just don't understand.

Doug
BSA Troop #275
Nashville, TN USA

While the pay isn't great, I don't think that most people work at Scout Camps for the great pay. They work there because they love the Scouting program and what it offers.

this is a good program for youth. Most of us that were in scouts as kids would love to be able to go work a program like this.

Others that would love this job are people just getting in to the industry, as well as college students that are studying enviormental education and need to build their resumes.... and the drug test thing is kinda odvious i would think, in order to work on any boat the excepts money from customers need to have a drug test on file and sent in to the US coast guard.

As a Eagle Scout, and a staff member at a scout camp. Its not about the pay, its about helping the boys through a life changing experience.

When Scuba Jenny and I got back from the Mega Dive she had a letter waiting inher mail box it was the application that she was waiting for for the Seabase. Her and her daughter had went to a trade show or something and a bunch of young girls were promoting this adventure so she asked for information. When Jenny was excited when she saw it came in UNTIL she opened it. The cost for a one week stay was $2,800 per child. She was not thrilled and had to tell her daughter that they would find something less expensive for her summer program this summer.
Though I think the summer camp is great, I too think it is a little expensive given the economy at this point. I have been to the Seabase many times and love the grounds and the kids have a great time. I think A/C would be nice for the kids though and I hope they have put it in there rooms. In the past I know they have used ALOT of college students as employees which is great they are so full of life and will always remember having a great summer job in the Keys.
This job is not for someone who has a family and bills to pay. This job is for college kids who need a place to go and a ( little bit of money ) when school starts back up.
I know for a fact that they do drug test about once a week on all their employees to make sure they are not using, which I think is GREAT. They don't know it is coming:eyebrow: they are told that morning when they enter the mess hall these people need to go get a drug test this morning. They run a tight ship at the Sea Base and I think that is great because it's our kids that are in their hands for a whole week and even longer if they stay for the summer.

When Scuba Jenny and I got back from the Mega Dive she had a letter waiting inher mail box it was the application that she was waiting for for the Seabase. Her and her daughter had went to a trade show or something and a bunch of young girls were promoting this adventure so she asked for information. When Jenny was excited when she saw it came in UNTIL she opened it. The cost for a one week stay was $2,800 per child. .

$2800? huh?

BSA SeaBase isn't that expensive for one week for a child. (Scout)

I think maybe you're confusing this with SeaCamp or another private camp in the keys.
SeaCamp is not the same as SeaBase, which is part of the Boy Scouts of America.

BSA Seabase average $600 to $800 per week per scouting youth.
see BSA SeaBase Fees - 2008 Season

$2800? huh?

BSA SeaBase isn't that expensive for one week for a child. (Scout)

I think maybe you're confusing this with SeaCamp or another private camp in the keys.
SeaCamp is not the same as SeaBase, which is part of the Boy Scouts of America.

BSA Seabase average $600 to $800 per week per scouting youth.
see BSA SeaBase Fees - 2008 Season

Maybe?? I'll call Jenny today to find out. It may have been a Seacamp but I thought it was for the Seabase. I could be wrong so I'll check.

2009 prices for Sea Base is $775.00 per Scout for the SCUBA Adventure and $10,600.00 SCUBA Live Aboard Adventure for a Crew of 10 - 12 Scouts and Leaders.. My Venturing Crew is Saving for the Live Aboard in 2010

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom