Florida Lobster Mini-Season Questions & Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Alonso

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I'll be newly certified as soon as this annoying persistent wind that we've been suffering through for the past week or so goes away. I've always wanted to participate in mini-lobster season and it looks like this might be the year. I live down in Miami, and was wondering what would be the best way to join in the madness safely. Someone at the dive shop recommended looking at the dive outfits in jupiter. I wanted to get a feel for what the consensus was from you fine folk :wink:

The best way that I can think of to dive during lobster mini season is to NOT dive at all. Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasim, but it is historically a bit more dangerous as many divers that only dive this one time of the year jump in the water again in a frantic search and capture mode.

Agreed. Wait for the regular season, still plenty of lobsters and fun to be had. Honestly, not sure you could find space on a boat now anyway.

Jupiter diving is deep and has strong currents, it's already tough enough for a brand new diver without adding the task loading of lobstering. They are in season from August 6 through March 31...you have many months to catch them after you gain some experience diving.

+1 on all the above advise.
My first mini-season, I had 3 rescues on day 1 and have avoided being anywhere near lobster opener madness since. Yes I lost a dive club buddy on a lobster opener when he ran out of air at 90 ft desperate to take home his limit.

If you search, you will find a large number of dive & boating accidents, fatalities, & near misses occur at this time every year!

If you must join in:
Make sure your dive skills are dialed-in, current and refreshed.
Dive sites that you already know.
Dont attempt a dive you havent done before, like jumping in 1 hr before sunrise if youve never done a night dive, or dive deeper than your experience level.
Ensure your gear is in top notch working condition.
Do NOT instabuddy with a stranger for hunting. Divers have become so task focused on the hunt, that they lose focus of their buddy, their gas management, and even self-preservation.
Same applies to boating. Go with a paid charter where the professional captain is focused on your safety, rather than an unknown private boat where you dont know the skill level (or sobriety) of everyone aboard or if the boat has all the safety gear like O2 kit and AED.
Watch out for the mosquito fleet of Captain Morgans, Admiral Budweisers, & Gilligans driving out there who dont see you & your flag in their path.

No lobster is worth your life. Please stay focused on safety.

I think I will go cave diving

Happy Diving!
Elena

I would heed the advice of the Florida Experts. It sounds like the first day of ski season at the resorts that open too early with man-made snow. We call it " The white Ribbon of Death! "

I guess I will be happy diving our high mountain lakes.

Michael: all the above is good advice: if you still feel like you want to go out during mini-season, I have a few thoughts.

1) consider the shallow reef in Pompano: its 30 feet deep at most and South Florida Dive HQ usually runs two boats during mini season for morning, afternoon and evening (two tank) dive trips. I couldn't escape the office last year and did a night dive with them on the Wed of mini-season. I got lucky and hooked up with a nice couple of similar skill level (~ 300 dives each) and we had a nice time, though only got one legal lobster between the three of us.

2) consider a beach dive in Dania or LBTS. My bet is Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea is sponsoring shores dives both days and probably nights too. Check out their Meetup group.

3) if you are not diving with a friend and will depend on an insta-buddy on a boat, get a pony bottle and second regulator. Someone you don't know will make a really terrible buddy during mini-season and you want to be as self reliant as possible.

4) watch your gas supply: I'm pretty good on my gas consumption, but when I have to chase bugs, I can use 2X the normal rate if I really have to work at it.

So I'll be newly certified as soon as this annoying persistent wind that we've been suffering through for the past week or so goes away. I've always wanted to participate in mini-lobster season and it looks like this might be the year. I live down in Miami, and was wondering what would be the best way to join in the madness safely. Someone at the dive shop recommended looking at the dive outfits in jupiter. I wanted to get a feel for what the consensus was from you fine folk :wink:

Boynton Beach is very shallow, has mild currents compared to Jupiter/Juno, and has very beautiful reefs.... It would be a very smart destination for mini season..... Boats are Loggerhead, Splashdown Divers, and Starfish...the best hotel deal is with the Courtyard by Marriott, who has partnered with the boats as a Dive Resort--...see them at Courtyard by Marriott
This is a photo of what the reefs in Boynton look like...they are spectacular.
Nanuca sebastiani 1.jpg

If you are going lobstering in Miami go with an operation likehttp://www.aquaticexplorers.com . They generally go in deeper water away from everyone else. Plus you have some people looking out for your safety.

However you are still working on getting certified so I don't think your first dives should be lobster hunting. I have also gotten lobster from a boat in shallow water using a bully net.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom