Florida law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckdiver1715

Registered
Reaction score
The Florida DHR passed a law effective 1 June 2005, making it a misdemeanor to remove artifacts from Florida waters, to include lakes, rivers and out three miles on the ocean and Gulf side.

Where did you get this information from?

Since I'm licensed by the Fischer Group to dive the 1715 wreaks, this is not my problem. However, as asked by ReefGuy, where did this info come from.

Also, since you incorporate 1715 in your on line name, do you also dive these wreaks? Drop me a PM if you do?

Uh, the last time I checked the Legislature had to "pass" any bill, and the Governor had to sign it to make it "law."
If some agency promulgated a new regulation that says what you've posted, it is likely there is insufficient law on the books to give it teeth, and that agency has overstepped their bounds and needs a little jolt from your local representative.
Let the letter writing begin.
Rick

Looks like that could shut down any volunteer waterways cleanup efforts that used to pick up discarded bottles.

well, they prohibit people from removing "artifacts" not trash

let me look up some stuff

they're talking about "objects which have intrinsic historical or archeological
value relating to the history, government, or culture of the state. Such objects
may include tangible personal property of historical or archaeolgoical value."

fla. stat. 267.115

H2Andy:
well, they prohibit people from removing "artifacts" not trash

let me look up some stuff

It covers "bottles". In that case, what is the well defined difference or is it just going to have to be left up to the "judge"?

Could be very subjective. Most of my "artifact" bottles are judged by my wife to be trash! Old coke bottles, bottles of similar vintage from local bottling companies that are now defunct. Turn of the century beer bottles. It looks pretty grey to me.

yeah... to be safe, if it looks old, don't bring it up

This policy change was specifically done to screw over those people who are recovering Indian artifacts from Florida rivers and lakes. Because these isolated artifacts have been destratified by water movement they are of absolutely no historical value to the archies. However, some of these artifacts are worth a lot of money and these POS beaurocrats absolutely cannot stand the thought of not getting their grubby little paws on it. I am totally for protecting major archeological sites like the Aucilla River site and have never bought or sold a point. But what these guys have done to criminalize a hobby enjoyed by a lot of collectors is plain wrong. The only real effect this will have is to make criminals out of what had formerly been law abiding collectors because a lot of them will not stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom