Florida Keys in November - my plan so far

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

Going to be camping at Bahia Honda State Park for 10 days in November and I'm planning ahead, calling dive shops and reading threads on this site and others. I haven't dove in many years so I'm taking a refresher course before I head down. Wanting to dive 40 ft at the max.

So far my plan is to dive:
Looe Key with Looe Key Dive Center
Duck Key (not sure where exactly they go)
Rainbow Reef (I'd like to do the shallow wrecks and ?)

Questions:
1) Anywhere else I shouldn't miss? I was told to try Pennekamp Park but based on their website it seems like they go to similar places as Rainbow Reef.
2) I don't really want to dive from the shore of Bahia, but is the snorkeling decent?
3) (sorry this isn't exactly about diving) I'm so on the fence about going to Dry Tortugas - it's $180 for the boat (I cannot afford that seaplane, don't even start with me :) ) and it's an entire day out of my trip. I like boat rides but if the place is just a big tourist trap then I'd rather spend the money diving.
4) What spots do you recommend when I go out with Rainbow Reef?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi Everyone,

Going to be camping at Bahia Honda State Park for 10 days in November and I'm planning ahead, calling dive shops and reading threads on this site and others. I haven't dove in many years so I'm taking a refresher course before I head down. Wanting to dive 40 ft at the max.

Questions:
1) Anywhere else I shouldn't miss? I was told to try Pennekamp Park but based on their website it seems like they go to similar places as Rainbow Reef.
2) I don't really want to dive from the shore of Bahia, but is the snorkeling decent?
3) (sorry this isn't exactly about diving) I'm so on the fence about going to Dry Tortugas - it's $180 for the boat (I cannot afford that seaplane, don't even start with me :) ) and it's an entire day out of my trip. I like boat rides but if the place is just a big tourist trap then I'd rather spend the money diving.

Pennekamp is a great op, though as you mention they do visit the same sites as the majority of other dive ops in the area. Rainbow Reef has a positive reputation, as does Sailfish Scuba in Key Largo. All three are within a few minutes of one another and offer in water dive guides. Virtually all of the reef dives will be at 40ft. or shallower.

Hi Everyone,

Questions:

Can't speak to the diving plan

But if old forts and groovy history are your bag, the trip to DRTO is absolutely money well spent. If you get hot, whiny, and sunburned, don't go. But if you do go, snorkel in the south coaling dock. You will run into massive nurse sharks, you may easily see a hammerhead, probably not a bull shark, and definitely not a crocodile (they hauled Carlos off last year). And a million reef fish. But it is hot, sticky, sweaty, and I get off the boat and get in the water. Just before the boat leaves, I get back on the boat. Because I drive it. Not the ferry, I take my own boat.

I've gone out with Rainbow Reef a number of times when visiting the Keys. The only wreck I am aware of that matches your 40ft max depth requirement is the Benwood. They also do this wreck as a night dive which I would highly recommend. One of the easier night dives you can do.

I did my first ocean dives with Rainbow a couple years ago. I liked it so much my buddy and I are going back in OCT to do AOW and spend 3 days diving with them. I had my log sitting here and the deepest i recorded was on the Benwood wreck at 47ft.

Enjoy your trip. The Keys are the only place in FL I like.

Bahia got wacked pretty good by Irma but the beach on the gulf side of the Island is still in good shape. The other side is fenced as off as of last month. Camping still should be fun. They got fresh water showers rebuilt and one of those portable airconditioned restroom facilities. The Dry Tortugas and Fort Jeffereson are really cool and worth the price. The fort is big and everyone gets pretty spread out. I think the boat only takes out about 175 people. If your gonna be there 10days get your feet wet then go do your AOW and go see the Speigel Grove or Vandenberg for your deep dive. When in Rome as they say.

It’s been a long time, but the snorkeling off Bahia was just ok. Diving spoiled me a lot, so my expectations are pretty high. But ok snorkeling is far better than even a great day at work.

If you like fish, be sure to go to the Keys Fisheries in Marathon (its by Swtlik Elementary School.) It’s one of our favorite restaurants in the world! Tons of fresh fish option and yummy rum punch. Be sure to go around to kitchen and ask for scraps. They’ll give you a small container and you can feed the tarpon. So much fun!!!

Ugh...now I need to plan a trip to the Keys. Perhaps Xmas???

My wife and I dive the Keys about once a month. Our "group" has lots of new divers and they really enjoy the shallow dives with lots of light (and color). Reef life is beginning to recover after getting trounced by Irma last September. Lots of life on the reefs, just not as much colorful coral as there was pre-Irma. Rainbow reef is a great dive op, but they are over an hour away from Bahia Honda State Park (when the traffic is moving). I would definitely try to book with someone closer. Much of the Keys reef diving is very similar, there are few "novelty" spots like "Spanish Anchor" and "Christ of the Abyss" near Key Largo, but the sea life is very similar. Definitely recommend getting your AOW and diving Spiegel Grove. It's not a "beginners" dive, a bit of current and the sea floor is around 130'-140', however many great dives (on the wreck) are around 85'-95'. Lots of life (and interesting history) in the Dry Tortugas. I've never dove there, but dive buddies at work skip the Keys and head straight to the Dry Tortugas on a regular basis. November may bring some challenging seas...keep an eye out....Enjoy!

Last edited:
My wife and I dive the Keys about once a month. Our "group" has lots of new divers and they really enjoy the shallow dives with lots of light (and color). Reef life is beginning to recover after getting trounced by Irma last September. Lots of life on the reefs, just not as much colorful coral as there was pre-Irma. Rainbow reef is a great dive op, but they are over an hour away from Bahia Honda State Park (when the traffic is moving). I would definitely try to book with someone closer. Much of the Keys reef diving is very similar, there are few "novelty" spots like "Spanish Anchor" and "Christ of the Abyss" near Key Largo, but the sea life is very similar. Definitely recommend getting your AOW and diving Spiegel Grove. It's not a "beginners" dive, a bit of current and the sea floor is around 130'-140', however many great dives (on the wreck) are around 85'-95'. Lots of life (and interesting history) in the Dry Tortugas. I've never dove there, but dive buddies at work skip the Keys and head straight to the Dry Tortugas on a regular basis. November may bring some challenging seas...keep an eye out....Enjoy!
Just to be clear. The only diving in the Dry Tortugas is from a private boat or liveaboard. If you don't want to pay for a plane ride, you're really going to balk at a liveaboard. You can only snorkel from the ferry. But it's well worth it.

Rainbow Reef is a good dive charter. I dove with them when I was in the Keys a few months ago.

It's a "cattle boat" for sure. Super crowded and kind of a bummer if you pick the setup station closest to the bow because you'll be the last in the water and you can stay down forever on short dives...

I did the Banana Patch Reef and Christ of the Abyss Statue with them. I would highly recommend both. The Christ of the Abyss itself was a cool "tourist attraction" dive site that you need to do at least once, and the surrounding reef was beautiful. Tons of fingers of reef and some amazing fish. Banana patch was also awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom