flooded my Sierra today ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was diving with a few friends this evening ... doing our weekly Thursday night scooter dive. Gearing up, doing our final checks, I looked down and noticed a stream of bubbles coming out of my scooter. A quick check revealed about three inches of extruded o-ring ... an obvious operator error on my part. I quickly exited the water and headed back to the parking lot ... scooter in hand, and visions of an expensive repair bill about to take place. Back at the car, I opened the scoot and dumped about two or three cups of water out ... this isn't looking good. A friend wandered over and asked "Do you want me to call Ray?" It's 5:30 ... he ain't gonna be there ... but, in fact, he was.

"Ray ... what do I do now?" He asked me how wet the motor was ... not much at all. Towel out the inside of the tube and pull the battery. Any water down inside? Nope.

"So Ray ... what do I need to do?"

He told me to put it back together and go diving ... and so I did.

Thanks guys ... for building a great product. And thanks, Ray ... for being there when I really needed you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting. Sierra has two orings, so even with the extruded body oring, the second oring let water by at the surface? I would not have expected that.

They do build quality products, glad to hear nothing was damaged!

Trust me ... if I can't find a way to break something, it can't be broken. It was actually the inner o-ring that extruded ... which prevented the outer one from sealing. Probably wouldn't have happened if I'd put the big one on the outside and the little one on the inside ... like you're supposed to.

Nothing is idiot proof ... the idiots only get more creative ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thank goodness for sealed batteries!

Glad you discovered this before you had a sea anchor clipped to your crotch d-ring!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom