Flooded my D7000 yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozzydamo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71049198@N08/6421659433/in/photostream
:(
Yesterday was a bad day for me!
It started out ordinary when I was approaching the site which is a conservation zone to see a pair of free divers spearfishing in the protection zone.
So I took some photo's of their vessel to report them to the marine park authorities, that's when I noticed the camera lens was in the manual focus setting so I hastily open her up and set it to A, and replugged in the hydrophone jack in my Aquatica housing (it's a fantastic housing, this was my fault!!!).
Well after anchoring and suiting up for the dive, I get my lady to pass my rig to me. I lower it into the water to see bubbles and then the alarm......HOLY FREEKIN SHEET!!!!!!
I quickly passed it back up to my girl, stripped my bp/w and tank, got into the boat pulled off the port to let it drain the camera housing while keep it port down.
I noticed that the mic jack flap was jabbed in between the housing shells, but not sticking right thru, only on the inside of the housing to the o-ring in the centre of the sealing surfaces.
So in my hasty inspection it appeared to be OK, it wasn't the case it flooded thru quickly.

So the lesson in this Catastrophe is- if you own this camera in this particular housing(I still love my housing, it's perfectly cleaned out and sprayed up with some Inox), is either remove or tape your hydrophone jack to the inside of the housing somewhere it won't interfere with the any of the left side controls and leave the mic jack flap nicely shut or be super careful you slip that flap forward into the front side of the housing as you side the camera into the front half on the locating rails (maybe tape that flap forward onto the camera body??????)

What I usually do at home the night before my dive, along with checking/greasing the O-rings and housing closing surfaces, battery installation and a new one now for me is to turn the camera on to see if it's functioning fully and correctly.

This has slowed my plans for my next phase of being an amateur underwater photographer not stopped me, I was going for a new tokina WA lens and a big dome port early next year, now it's back to square one to buy the camera and 60mm nikkor lens again
:(
The tragic irony is that the factory in Thailand which made the camera is now flooded also.........so many dead D7000'S

Safe diving to all,
Ozzydamo ps- to top it all off the water viz was a pea green 7m!

Last edited:
Bummer!

I came to read expecting some implosion story, then read about the illegal spearfishing and my heart raced, thinking the camera got between you and a spear...I watch too many movies...

adeb158d-15e7-4818-a873-ee0d74e1bd5d.jpg

Are you SURE it's done for?

If it is flooded, and you are sure it is a goner, then you have nothing to lose. Get some distilled water - maker sure it is distilled, not just bottled. Pour some in a bowl, rinse the area of the camera where it was soaked. Changed the water, and do it again. And again. And again.

Then put the parts where they can dry out, like in the sun, inside, with a fan on them. Dry them thoroughly.

You would be amazed at what can be reclaimed this way -- hard drives flooded in Kachina, computers - some were washed out with a hose, then they used the distilled water . . . . it's a chance.

On my Olympus setup...I have a checklist velcroed to the housing. I've had 3 floodings are very preventable. Since I started this checklist (and religiously adhere to it), I've no incidents. It's so easy to forget something stupid and these cameras and housings are so complex leaving a large margin for mistake

Your flooding sounds like my worst nightmare!!. Would make me depressed for days:depressed:
I hope you are able to recover it by the rinsing procedure described by Jax.
For the same reason I've insured my uw camera gear to accidents like this. The insurrence cost me about 500 DKK yearly (roughly $100)
I've already been covered once, when I accidently stumbled in low water while carrying my rig. One of my z240's was damaged and the insurence paid a brand new one - minus self risk of 1000 DKK
Maybe worth a consideration when you buy your new D7000

There are two messages here:

1. Never do anything involving UW photo gear in a hurry.

2. Check correct operation after you put it together. Take a picture. Make sure AF works, make sure both strobes work.

Flooded my D7000 yesterday

Is that bad?

I've flooded a strobe and an expensive focus light. Fortunately both still work.

The strobe flooded from a piece of hair on the o-ring that I missed because I was in a a hurry and the light was poor.

The FIX focus light flooded because I got distracted during the assembly process and forgot to put the o-ring back in place.

1. No distractions allowed when assembling camera equipment
2. Fool with o-rings and housings only in bright light
3. Test all gear after assembly
4. If you have to open you camera on the dive boat, be super careful and super vigilant

thanks for the colourful and wise advise, its now another lump of stuff for landfill!
I am over the loss now, but will wait until after xmas to restock my housing....have already cut the mic jack the fook off!
:wink:

i'm sorry to hear that!
All others just gave the good tips and cutting the hydrophone cable was a wise decision,
as the real value for a usual underwater photographer and videgrapher it is still arguable for me.
I like the idea with the check-list inside!

Chris

sorry to hear this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom