Flood or non-flood??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Making lists of dive gear for insurance, but don't know whether to list camera memory/flash cards in the flood or non-flood category. (The extra premium on the flood part means I want to include everything necessary but nothing at all unnecessary.)

I only insure the camera under flood item. Supposedly CF card is quite water resistance and often people don't lose any picture after a flood (never tried it myself though). Housing is listed under non-flood item. Personally CF card is quite cheap now aday (ok, except the 4 GB variety) that I don't even list them in the insurance policy.

alcina:
Depends on the policy but I included mine last year...the extra cost to insure was only a couple of bucks.

Yeah, that's true. I just got a shock when I added up the totals--started thinking "how can I cut this down?"

ssra30:
Personally CF card is quite cheap now aday (ok, except the 4 GB variety)

Or even the 1 GB variety, if you have a couple of 'em. :wink:

Quero:
Or even the 1 GB variety, if you have a couple of 'em. :wink:

This is one problem with the way DEPP want you to list the items. Say you have 4 1GB card, you will have to list all 4. For flood insurance, the premium for flood insurance is 4% of the card value, you know that when your camera flood, you will only have 1 CF card in the camera at a given time. I don't mind paying 4% premium for a card but to have all your 4 cards insured, you ended up paying 16% of the price of one CF card that you might flood. The value of the insurance seem a little steep at this point. If you only have 2 cards then it is not bad but the more cards you have, the less the benefit, I think.

This might sound stupid but I don't insure any of my lens at all since I use 4 different lenses with my dSLR, the premium to insure 4 lenses will cost about 20% of the total cost of the most expensive lens or 50% of the cheapest lens that I might flood.
So I decided that it is not worth it to insure those lens (however the camera is a different story).

OK, I'm digging up this old thread vs. starting a new one.

I'm about to insure our camera gear with DEPP and here's what I'm looking at:
We have almost $3000 in camera gear between the two of us (I never should have added it all up) and if I flood insure the cameras, housings and strobe (so everything but the tray and arms) we are looking at $99 extra in flood insurance. I understand how the cameras and strobes would need to be insured against flood but the housing? If it was operator error then you don't need a replacement and if it wasn't then it's broken and needs to be replaced. It's only $20 different so I guess I shouldn't worry about it and just do it but I wanted to get other people's take on why you do or don't flood insure your housings.

thanks

We don't insure our housings, strobe cables, strobes, or any arms, clamps, trays. In fact, the only things we insure against flood are the camera bodies and each of our most used lenses. That's 3 lenses and 1 body. We don't insure our housings because the only replacement necessary in case of flood will be a small bit of electronics that we actually carry in our travel kit. We can replace it and get back to shooting at the one time cost of about $125 for the electronics replacement. Sending the housing afterwards would still be cheaper than carrying the full insurance. Furthermore, I've heard stories of DEPP dropping you after only one claim. I've never made a claim so I don't know how true those stories are.
Check into what it takes to get your housing back in action in case of flood and you may discover it's not worth it.

All of you ensure with DEPP?

I'm with DEPP.

I would insure my flash cards without flood to protect them from theft. Four cards in my camera bag might be worth $400. I don't ensure for flood. I hear that they usually work after drying out and you'll only lose one in the flood. By the time that you lose one, the prices will probably have fallen so much that you'll be able to replace it at half price.

At DEPP, you pay you normal premium based on cost brackets. Its something like $0-$1000, $1001-$2500, $2500-$5000, etc. Once you break into a new bracket, throw in everything that you can think of.

FYI, they even covered my digital wallet (Epson P-2000) that I use to store my photos on a trip.

David

I've had memory cards (SD and CF) survive my washing machine just fine, in fact the one of them survived the dryer too but I can't recall which. I think if they did get flooded you could probably rinse them in fresh water and then wait for them to dry out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom