Float and flag recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I need to pick up a float and diver flag. Any recommendations for ones which are durable, simple, visible, and not a big pain to use?

Float and diver flag are both completely invisible at night.

Suggestion: Cheap float/flag from any dive shop, polypropylene line (polypropylene floats), and add a cheap strobe to the float. Fresh batteries.

Hawaiian Hard Float | MAKO Spearguns

I like Mako's as far as the best float/flag combo, but like said above, neither are visible. Nice thing is it will support itself for a strobe attached for night diving.

During the day they're fine as is though you can put hi-viz tape on the flag. Always carry a safety sausage that is hi-viz for hanging out at the surface since you'll be about as tall off the water as the dive flags

Float and diver flag are both completely invisible at night.

Suggestion: Cheap float from any dive shop, polypropylene line (polypropylene floats), and add a cheap strobe to the float. Fresh batteries.

Good point...

My obvious skills must be low today.

I like the look of the Mako flag but since I travel to dive I use an inflatable float with flag.

Innovative Inflatable Flag-N-Float FL-0301

There is a well in the center of the float for a small dive light to make it glow at night or just hang a light from the flag. Warning, this float will tip if not weighted and the flag will come out..don't.ask me how I know.

Thundercleese is absolutely spot on with his advice to avoid the linked flag.

Some divers like the ones like inner tubes... I find them to be nice support but awful to pull around because of the drag. For me, a more streamlined float that will keep the flag visible is preferable. I own one like this except that it is one piece. I don't trust the 2 pc pole. If it can get pulled out, it will get pulled out and at the most inopportune time.

... I own one like this except that it is one piece. I don't trust the 2 pc pole. If it can get pulled out, it will get pulled out and at the most inopportune time.
I have one very similar to that, lead weight on bottom. Works, I just crimped the sleeve a bit and jammed them together. Not my favorite piece of dive gear, almost glad to lose it.

---------- Post added July 27th, 2015 at 06:12 PM ----------

... and not a big pain to use?
You got me on that one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom