Flights to Yap or Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am heading to Asia and buying an open ticket from New York to Hong Kong. I would like to visit Yap, what city in Asia is cheaper to fly to Yap? Or what is the best routing to fly to Yap?

From HK I will be heading to Thailand to dive, and then most likely fly back to HK and then head to Yap or another island. But it seems the cheapest flight is 900 from HK.

Or what about Palau? I have a few months off so I have flexible travel dates.

BikerManiac,

There are not many ways to get to Yap, unless you are willing to consider row-boat, jet-ski, or swimming... you must fly to Manila (Philippines) and then take the Continental flight to Yap (which stops in Palau).

You should be able to find a budget-carrier to get you to Manila, but the flight to Yap itself is expensive, unless you have a few thousand Continental miles to burn :wink:

Heading there myself next week though... and really psyched about it!

I think that you can fly to Palau ( Koror ) from Taipeh For both of you remember to send a Trip report

BikerManiac:
I am heading to Asia and buying an open ticket from New York to Hong Kong. I would like to visit Yap, what city in Asia is cheaper to fly to Yap? Or what is the best routing to fly to Yap?

From HK I will be heading to Thailand to dive, and then most likely fly back to HK and then head to Yap or another island. But it seems the cheapest flight is 900 from HK.

Or what about Palau? I have a few months off so I have flexible travel dates.

BTW, there is a new direct flight from Hong Kong to Palau that is run by Palau Asia Pacific Airlines. Dont' know if its cheaper than the usual HK-Manila-Koror route. But that doesn't help you get to Yap. Unfortunately Continental Micronesia has a stranglehold on flights to/from Palau/Yap... A CO stewardess friend once told me that they have two tier prices on tickets from Manila for local Filipinos and foreigners. If you can find a "friendly" travel agent in Manila, they might be able to work something out but I think they are pretty strict and you would have to show some Filipino ID/ passport...

Are you sure that the flight from HK to Koror is direct?? On the road map of Asian Pacific it seems not.....

hallboy:
Are you sure that the flight from HK to Koror is direct?? On the road map of Asian Pacific it seems not.....

Pretty sure. That's Palau Aisa Pacific Air, not Continental Micronesia. I remember there were a lot of announcements last year about the direct flight, but I can't seem to find the airline's website... Also remember my dive travel agent mentioning that too. But odd, just checked their website and their trips with the direct flights are gone... hmm...

Back
Top Bottom