Flexible neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, the title basically says it all.

I'm looking for a flexible neoprene drysuit. Since almost all diving I do is between 40 and 50 degrees, I was thinking of atleast 4mm compressed, or crushed.

To all the trilam divers, I appreciate the input, but I'm specifically looking for a neoprene drysuit. I love my Santi E-Space and it has served me for many dives, but I'm looking for a second drysuit and would love to try a neoprene one.

The only issue I have seen alot is the sizing, I dive a SANTI XXL short and as far as I've seen, it seems like there aren't many neoprene drysuits that are properly mtm. If possible I would also prefer one that doesn't limit mobility too much, I'm not sure if that's even an option since most neoprene ones seem to be back zip. With my trilam I can do my valve drills and not being able to do them anymore would be a deal breaker.

I've been looking at SF Tech, but the price is a bit of a scare for me, if possible I'd like to stay under 1500 euros.

Any brands you could suggest / stay away from, etc.

All input and help would be appreciated.

Seaskin, MTM but back zip, love diving mine except the zipper, very reasonable cost. Beauchat (sp) makes one as does pinnacle that have a front across the chest zip, pinnacle also had the black ice, 7mm compressed to 4mm, standard diagonal front zip, I don’t know if they still make it, mine was incredibly warm and flexible until it started getting pinhole leaks, it was old.

I think bare makes one and rumor has it that O3 will make a front zip if you ask.

otter mk7 or pinnacle tahoe drysuit are front zip and in the 1200ish range

I dive the DUI CF-200. Water temps in low 40’s to mid 60’s is no problem for an hour dive and I’m cold natured. Super comfortable flexible compressed neoprene. Cut of the suit is slightly tighter than a normal trilam with telescoping waist.

My advice is to at least stay away from the Bare neoprene suits. The "NST" "No-Stitch-Technology" is not great, and out of all the suits I leak test in a given month, Bare NST suits almost always have seam leaks somewhere.
For close to your budget, you could get into an Abyss drysuit, which I can recommend. Although doing valve drills with a back zip might be tough, and the front entries are a little more pricey.
Seaskin suits also seem to have a good rep, but I've never seen one in person.

If you are strictly looking at front entry suits, the options are limited in neoprene to 4mm non-compressed, or 3mm or less compressed neoprene as the flexibility to put the "fold" in the waist for the telescoping torso is limited by the neoprene flex.
Again, Abyss makes a 2.5mm compressed front entry, and a 4mm non-compressed front entry and I can recommend them for their quality.

The Bare XCS2 Tech is a good compressed neo suit with a front zip. I had one. I never had any leaks. But, off-the-rack sizing just doesn't work all that well for me, so I sold it.

I now have a Seaskin Ultra (which is compressed neoprene). It's made to measure and fits me perfectly. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is only offered in back-zip form. That is a pain. Otherwise, an awesome suit. And, new, it was less that USD$900, shipped!

Just bought a Beuchat Iceberg Pro Dry, will try it this week end and let you know, but temp is high in hk at this season.
for #1: My gf likes the style for one, it looks cool.
for #2: it is a 4mm neoprene, in HK, I will have almost no undercloths in winter (16c), back in France, will add some (0-17c).
Front zipper you can self close.

I like neoprene, 'cos:
#1: of fast repair. seen friends having to give up a day 'cos last minute repair of a leak was not an option.
#2: they insulate already a bit, which is perfect for my usage in Hong Kong and France.

can go down to 50m.
found it around 6696 hkd, usd 863

Fits almost perfect for me, but always depends on one's shape :). I have a saxophonist neck, so pretty tight at 1st, need to stretch. I am French, buying a French brand, that makes it easier to find one's fit.

So, I did one dive yesterday with the drysuit. 6-7m max, I was doing mapping with a rescue student .
Doning was easy, except at the neck, still really tight. I need to stretch it a bit more. apppart from this, it felt really snug and comfortable, easy to use, zipper open and close alone.

Exhaust valve sensitive enough.
People liked the style.
Feeling the air going up and down the legs, I don't know if it's normal.

I Only had to add 6 pounds, 5+6 = 11 pounds (Drysuit, torches, negatively buoyant fins, small jacket BCD, 9L AL tank)

Overall happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom