Flat Line on Spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, does anyone has experience on how much more length will using flat line on a finger spool give you?

Referring to the Apeks Lifeline type of flat line.

With a given spool (say 30m), around how much more line can you put on it without spilling out when compared to the round, conventional line?

Also, are there any disadvantages to using flat line on finger spools?

I was able to fit 590ft of Dacron line to my 400ft Hollis seeker, that is a significant increase. I don't have any experience with the Apeks line type. I am very happy with Dacron thou...

I have a spool of the DGX line. It's fine, but it isn't the flat stuff that comes on the Apex spools.

I have flat yellow string from DGX that allowed me to put about 25% to 30%(?) more string on a reel.

Thanks for all the replies!

Have you guys noticed anything different with flat lines? Any disadvantages at all?

I've got some high vis orange line (Dacron?) I bought years ago online, forget from whom. IIRC, it was the 24# line. I put 250' of knotted line on my 200' spool and it took up less space (coulda fit more). I lined a couple of 100' spools and fit about 125' with room to spare. Also, it doesn't swell up like the nylon line when wet. It doesn't stretch either, so you have to be on your "A" game with placements or it will come loose.

Looks like Piranha has both the swivel and flat line as of 5/15/2020:
Commercial Grade Line Swivel , Piranha Dive Shop |
100 feet High Vis Neon Orange Flat Line , Piranha Dive Shop |

Also have some Lifeline style reels, already tied up with flat line & swivel:
Compact 50ft Anodized PURPLE Aluminum W/ FLAT High Viz Neon ORANGE LINE & SS Line Swivel! , Piranha Dive Shop |

Spools look like have the knurled edges too.

Also posted other thread Measurement of the Apeks Lifeline...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom