Flash Ruining Photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm using a digital camera with a flash to take pictures in a freshwater lake (green water). My flash works great in the ocean, but when I take pictures in the lake the photos are very dark and green. However, if I shoot video in the same lake with the same camera, the video turns out great. The only reason I can think of is that the video doesn't use a flash. Could the flash be the culprit?

what camera is it? using the internal flash or external flash/strobe?

Also, so you have seperate land, underwater, and underwater strobe modes on the camera?

Try taking a picture without flash and see what you get.

I'd assume the flash is no good for underwater because my camera housing blocks the flash so that you can't use it at all.

Howdy,

It's an Olympus D-560 zoom and it has an internal flash. The next time I'm at the lake, I'll try shooting without the flash. The underwater housing has a flash diffuser on it.

If you're shooting with the internal flash, be aware that you have an effective range of MAYBE 2 feet. Anything farther than that will be chock full o'backscatter, making it nearly useless. The diffusion panels do their best to reduce the problem, but are only somewhat effective. Internal flash tends to work best with macro photography.

Note there are two types of panels in front of the flashes: diffusion panels designed to spread the light a little more evenly, as things just work different underwater (it can also help get the flash around the lens tube, in some configurations), and you can't shoot long distances without severe backscatter anyway, and blocking panels designed to stop the flash from lighting the scene at all. Those blocking panels are supposed to be used in conjunction with an external strobe. If you don't have an external strobe, you shouldn't use the blocking panel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom