Flash or not to Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If I am taking large landscape type pictures, ie. pictures of a ship wreck where much of the subject is 10-20 feet away, is there any advantage in using the camera's flash (with the diffuser)? or am I just risking getting backscatter? If I remember right the flash is only good for 5 or so feet (and the stobe for even closer up??)

Yes, the effective range os your strobe is approximately 3-10 ft depending on the type of strobe you're using. As for lighting a shipwreck, if its in shallow clear water (30'-50') in daylight, you wont need a strobe. However, if its deep murky water, similar to what you'll find in the great lakes, or at night dives, there's no cost effective way to use a strobe. Unless, you can provide massive amounts of lights similar to what the big budget film makers use.

What some folks do is haul down a tripod of sorts then clip a weight to it. This will allow for a longer exposure. Any strobe would be pretty much useless unless you're just going to light up the bow, very close up with a good WA lens. Otherwise, you're just lighting up particles in front of the lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom