Flash not synchronizing with camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mango12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a housed Olympus FE360 + Intova ISS 2000 (connected through fiber optic cable). I typically use the camera in clear shallow water on a sunny day. The strobe/camera flash only synchronizes in the camera's AUTO mode (camera does not have manual flash, only FILL IN which does not synchronize with external strobe). However, there is usually so much sunlight that the camera's flash is not triggered in the AUTO mode - hence the dreaded blue cast. The U/W camera company told me to put the camera on AUTO, use a red filter -- that seemed silly since the Intova strobe becomes basically useless or if it flashes then wrong color.

I was thinking about just getting a darker neutral filter to screw on the camera housing to mimic darkness which would force the camera to use the flash on the AUTO mode, thus triggering the Intova strobe (and natural colors). Does not seem reasonable? Any other solutions/suggestions? Thank you.

I suspect that the FE360 doesn't put out the same preflash in FILL-IN as it does in AUTO. I suggest that you set the camera for FILL-IN (at home, above water), then keep changing the Intova settings until synchronization occurs. Just a guess, but I'm guessing no pre-flash for the FILL-IN flash mode. See strobe manual quick setup step 6.

Thanks I will give that a try

Back
Top Bottom