Flash Dive Report: Giant Stride Trip to Socal Oil Rigs, Sunday 1-22-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were your total dive times 22 and 19 minutes? See any interesting sea life on your dives? What did you think of the dive op. that took you?

I've never dove an oil rig; would like to try it someday.

Were your total dive times 22 and 19 minutes? See any interesting sea life on your dives? What did you think of the dive op. that took you?

I've never dove an oil rig; would like to try it someday.

The dive times were 1/3 of a typical dive on the rigs as my partner was limited in experience and this was a reasonable profile for this partner. Typically a dive on the rigs will be around 45 minutes. Often we dive the Olympic Wreck as dive one, and that dive is to 95' feet, so for dive two on the rigs I usually limit my depth to 75', and dive three to around 55'. The rigs are coated with scallops, mussels, starfish, and anemones below the 55' mark. They normally harbor schools of fish, and sometimes pelagics show up, and often sea lions. When we get a blue bird day, most frequently in the Fall, they offer an incredible dive experience. "You never know what is going to show up."

The Giant Stride is a six passenger dive boat based in San Pedro. It focuses on delivering a high quality diving experience and custom itineraries focused on the skills and interests of the clients. I lead trips on the boat and crew on it as well. Come out with us sometime!

Back
Top Bottom