FL Shore Dive Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu_in_fl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
newly land-locked in Cinci-freaking-natti
# of dives
taken from a shore dive...first time i've seen a batfish (saw 2) and a flying gunard...

IMG_3410web.JPG

IMG_3392web.jpg

IMG_3398web.jpg

Looks like Blue Heron to me! If so, the bat fish are up there as are the flying gunards.

Nice photos!

It's gotta be Blue Heron! You can usually tell by the sand. And, yes, there are always polka dot batfish there as well as the occasional flying gurnard. I've been seeing sea robins there lately as well. There was even a southern stargazer a few months back. When you throw in the usual tropicals and a few seahorses, it's a dive site that can't be beat!

Southern Stargazer or a Northern? My buddy saw a Northern on New Years Eve. Scared the bejeezes outa him.

thanks for the comments

yep it was under Blue Heron Bridge (on the day we got blown out from Lemon Sharking)....a couple of other divers saw a Stargazer in the sand that day as well. Next time i'm over that side of the world will definately do that dive again (a couple of times)...so much life (and visability)...makes a nice change from the venice sharks toothing !

Nice pics. I really like that dive site. It's one of my favorites.

I really like the colors on the first fish (what ever it is)...Wow!

did it hang around or rush off after you took the pic?

justleesa:
I really like the colors on the first fish (what ever it is)...Wow!

did it hang around or rush off after you took the pic?
it's a Flying Gunard...seemed to be pretty unconcerned about me (same as the batfish) but didn't like me trying to get in front of it - kept turning around. Quite interesting - it uses a sort of claw/fin to dig in the sand to find food

Back
Top Bottom