FL Lobster Season - Know Before You Go. Be Prepared, Be Safe, Happy Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Each year divers from all over descend upon Florida for the annual recreational lobster season. This year "mini-season" is on July 30-31, 2014.
Each year the number in diving and boating accidents, near-missed, and sadly fatalities sky-rockets.
Here are some things to keep in mind:

A few profound words from Diver's Alert Network

These are FWC's websites:

There is also a NEW FL Dive Flag Law.
That discussion is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...orida-dive-flag-law-coming-july-1-2014-a.html

There are plenty of threads on this subject of past learning experiences. Feel free to search the Accidents & Incidents Forum and the Florida Forum.

Additionally, there are multiple events throughout the state promoting safe lobstering practices while having fun.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/482121-bugfest-sea-lobster-mini-season-2014-a.html

Please stay close to your vessel. Divers can get caught up in current easily. Keep someone on the boat who is capable of driving the boat, following and retrieving divers, and who will remain sober enough to recognize problems and react quickly. And this gadget can be immensely helpful, when :censored: hits the fan.
Don't let this happen to you: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...63171-more-near-misses-incidents-fl-keys.html

Here is my 2psi worth of advise:

​My first mini-season, I had 3 rescues on day 1 and have avoided being anywhere near lobster opener madness since. Yes I lost a dive club buddy on a lobster opener when he ran out of air at 90 ft desperate to take home his limit.

If you search, you will find a large number of dive & boating accidents, fatalities, & near misses occur at this time every year!
If you must join in:
Make sure your dive skills are dialed-in, current and refreshed.
Dive sites that you already know.
Don't attempt a dive you haven't done before, like jumping in 1 hr before sunrise if you've never done a night dive, or dive deeper than your experience level.
Ensure your gear is in top notch working condition.
Do NOT insta-buddy with a stranger for hunting. Divers have become so task focused on the hunt, that they lose focus of their buddy, their gas management, and even self-preservation.
Same applies to boating. Go with a paid charter where the professional captain is focused on your safety, rather than an unknown private boat where you dont know the skill level (or sobriety) of everyone aboard or if the boat has all the safety gear like O2 kit and AED.
Watch out for the mosquito fleet of Captain Morgans, Ensign Budweisers, & Gilligans driving out there who don't see you & your flag in their path.

No lobster is worth your life. Please stay focused on safety.

I think I will go cave diving

Happy Diving!
Elena

Attachments

• Lobster_Brochure.pdf
    464.6 KB · Views: 326
read and noted.......

Beat the Bug Frenzy

Between 2005 and 2011, 20 fatalities were recorded during the mini lobster season. Medical conditions, poor diving procedures and equipment problems were common factors.

These are factors in most diving fatalities, but the mini lobster season has the added intensity of a limited-time harvesting opportunity and a lot of traffic in the water. In the excitement of the event, divers often neglect important safety skills. Keep these tips on hand if you are headed off for the bug frenzy. - See more at: Alert Diver | Beat the Bug Frenzy

I will be driving one of Ocean Divers' dive boats on opening day of mini-season.....I am not looking forward to dealing with the madness & mahem created by boaters who barely know the pointy end from the blunt end.

Anyone care to guess how many boating accidents will occur over those 2 days?

CALLING ALL DIVERS!
The Dive Shop at West Marine in the St. Johns Town Center presents our 2014 Lobster Tournament.
We have partnered with the annual Florida Sportsman Northeast Bash. The $10 entry fee goes directly to Captain Vic Tyson of VIC2FISH and his wife Yvonne to help their family with Yvonne's continued fight with Lyme disease. There are 4 prize slots, heaviest lobster wins. 1st place prize, Elite 7 HDI Lowrance MSRP $869.99. 2nd place, Mares Puck Wrist Computer MSRP $350. 3rd place, Mares Misson 2 Glass gauge MSRP $210. 4th place, Mares Essence Liquidskin Mask MSRP $106. The Captains meeting is on Sept. 26th 6PM-9PM at Beach Marine in Jacksonville Beach. Captains bags with freebies will be given out to participating divers. All entries must be in by Sept. 26th. Waivers are available at the dive shop 4784 Big Island Dr. Jacksonville, FL or the day of the captains meeting at Beach Marine. The tournament will begin at safe light on the 27th. Weigh tables will be open 1PM-7PM. There will be FREE kegs, food, and music starting at noon (you dont have to participate to partake). Lets bag some bugs!

I'm amaze!!!

Its legal to perform underwater hunting with scuba equipment???? or may be I understood this wrong. In Spain is absolutely forbidden to use scuba equipment for Underwater Hunting, it has to be done freediving.

Best regards form Zaragoza.

We're doing min-season again this year. Usually there are 4 of us but this year we're missing 2 - and one of them has the boat. If anyone wants to hit Big Pine for the week and has a boat to fit 3 (and you can bring a 4th) let me know. We usually split the expenses 4-ways so it's very reasonable. I've already rented a cottage at Old Wooden Bridge fishing camp in Big Pine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom