Fixing sticky inflator button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I picked up a used wing, and the inflator button basically won't bounce back. I took it apart expecting to find a rusty spring, but that wasn't the case.

As seen in the attached pic, there is some corrosion build up. I have ordered some stiff straw brushes to scrub the insides with 50/50 white vinegar and warm water. I then plan to use silicone spray to live the inside.

Does that sound reasonable?

Attachments

• 20211017_114907~2.jpg
    20211017_114907~2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 79
You can use the green kitchen scrubbers, (scotch brite)
Cut a small piece and spin it in the bore,
Change the oring as well, silicone spray or something like that for the oring and bore, (I usually use fluid film)

You can use the green kitchen scrubbers, (scotch brite)
Cut a small piece and spin it in the bore,
Change the oring as well, silicone spray or something like that for the oring and bore, (I usually use fluid film)
Thanks. Hadn't thought about the green/yellow sponges. The green part is pretty abrasive.

These inflators are pretty easy to clean, but even easier to replace for about $15. Get a spare as you clean out this abused one. Microwave some 50/50 vinegar to below boiling to deal with the corrosion and hit it was a brass brush. A basic ultrasonic cleaner will also be something nice to have available.

While you are cleaning this inflator, do the other BC inflators you have. Then take a look at your drysuit inflator as well, and spray in some of the silicone to lube it up.

These inflators are pretty easy to clean, but even easier to replace for about $15. Get a spare as you clean out this abused one. Microwave some 50/50 vinegar to below boiling to deal with the corrosion and hit it was a brass brush. A basic ultrasonic cleaner will also be something nice to have available.

While you are cleaning this inflator, do the other BC inflators you have. Then take a look at your drysuit inflator as well, and spray in some of the silicone to lube it up.
oh, the time/effort vs. cost ratio is certainly out of whack. The idea is more just to learn more and that I enjoy the process of fixing stuff. I'm currently using my spare (I have another one). When I receive the brushes and silicone liquid (I figured that dribbling some in was the best way to go), I'll service all of the inflators I have.

Good point on my dry suit inflator while I'm at it.

Try Corrosion Block. I know it's a bit pricey, but this stuff really works and it only take a little bit. Plus, it will help protect from future corrosion and will work with a lot of scuba gear. I always stock a bottle in my dive tools.

oh, the time/effort vs. cost ratio is certainly out of whack. The idea is more just to learn more and that I enjoy the process of fixing stuff. I'm currently using my spare (I have another one). When I receive the brushes and silicone liquid (I figured that dribbling some in was the best way to go), I'll service all of the inflators I have.

Good point on my dry suit inflator while I'm at it.

If you are into DIY and fixing your diving equipment maybe invest in a little ultrasonic cleaner they are perfect for jobs like the above. I have a cheapy plastic one I got off amazon for $30. It is amazing how new and shiny your parts look after a little bath in the buzz box.

Also I like to use citric acid (like the food stuff) vs. vinegar. I think its a little less harsh on the chrome but still eats away the build up just as well.

If you are into DIY and fixing your diving equipment maybe invest in a little ultrasonic cleaner they are perfect for jobs like the above. I have a cheapy plastic one I got off amazon for $30. It is amazing how new and shiny your parts look after a little bath in the buzz box.

Also I like to use citric acid (like the food stuff) vs. vinegar. I think its a little less harsh on the chrome but still eats away the build up just as well.
I actually have a really good one that I picked up from another diving getting out of all that. I didn't want to use it for this as I wanted to apply just a bit of water/vinegar. Maybe I'm wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom