Fixing deformed fins.... how do you store fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was digging our dive gear out of the closet in the guest room just to inventory everything, check batteries in the dive computers and get the regs together for service before our anticipated trip to Sea of Cortez in April. When I pulled out two bags of dive gear I found my wife's brand new fins underneath. They had been propped up against a wall and the weight of the bags has bent one to the reverse of its normal shape.

If I leave these out for a while with a support underneath to allow them to return to proper shape, will they?

Also, how does everyone else store fins? I had been thinking of putting pegs on the closet wall to hang them up just so something like this does not happen but wall space is very limited in there. Floor space is limited too with all the suitcases and other random junk if laying them flat on the floor is the best storage option.

After they have been thoroughly cleaned and dried after a dive trip, I store ours (me and dive buddy/wife) flat in the bottom of our gear bags that we use to haul or transport the gear in.

As to whether you will be able to un-warp one, depending on the manufacture and/or product, maybe laying it out in the sun with a weight on it?

My fins live in the back of my Escape with some of my tanks. Fins are flat on their side or flat, depending on if I’m actually going diving and so have to fit with other gear.

Adding to this, I am really anal about keeping the foot pocket reinforcement keepers in place for storage. Stuff can crush/deform the pocket if placed on top of it...

I store mine in a top a shelf with reinforcement keepers, and standing on the "heel"...

You can use a hair dryier to reheat the plastic. Go slowly up and down the blade area. Then lay the fin on a flat surface, till it cools. Just be careful to not use to much heat in one spot or the fin will deform. This is one reason why I have used hand cast Poly-Urethane systems for over forty years now. Our fins hold their shape over time. Wishing you all the best luck and hopefully this information can help others.

I store mine on a shelf in my dive locker. I never "stand them up" to store or otherwise.

...Also, how does everyone else store fins? I had been thinking of putting pegs on the closet wall to hang them up...

This is exactly how I store mine. Works great and I have never had my fins go out of shape.

You can use a hair dryier to reheat the plastic. Go slowly up and down the blade area. Then lay the fin on a flat surface, till it cools. Just be careful to not use to much heat in one spot or the fin will deform. This is one reason why I have used hand cast Poly-Urethane systems for over forty years now. Our fins hold their shape over time. Wishing you all the best luck and hopefully this information can help others.
This. I have used a hair dryer to soften up and "move" deformed fins a couple of times. Usually works pretty well, but not 100% of the time.

Tip: wear work gloves. Hot rubber hurts the hands. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom