fixing bad pixels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever experienced this? I just upgraded to a Oly C-4000, which has a feature that allows you to somehow rejuvenate the pixels on the camera. The replaced camera is a 3 year old C-3000 that doesn't have that feature, but has 2 or three pixels that no longer record color -- they turn out as emerald green dots on the computer and on prints, and are always in the same spot. Is this situation what the C-4000 engineers contemplated and addressed in the pixel fix feature? I'm at work and don't have my camera menu to look at right now, so I may have the terminology wrong. Thanks.

with the older cameras...2000 and 3000 series and not sure about the 4040.... I think you need to send the camera back to Olympus for the fix ... pixel Mapping.....I guess it was common that they decided to make it (pixel mapping) a feature on the newer cameras.

Yes, the 4040 had it. Olympus suggests you do it once a year or more often if you see those green dots you're talking about. You can send the older cameras in to Oly and they will do the mapping for you. I'm thinking the price i heard was around $100, which isn't bad if you're trying to hang on to an old friend!

Thanks, Dee and Finesse.

I was hoping that I could pixel map the 3000 myself. Seems to be an expensive fix for what I would call an inherent product defect. Now I'm debating whether it's worth it. One of my considerations is that the 3000 was a gift from an ex-girlfriend during a relationship tainted by bad pixels on its own -- lying, cheating, alcoholism (all her not me....) -- and putting the 3000 to rest is the last remaining item to put that relationship in the history books. But that story is left for another forum at another time and I wouldn't expect or ask for any help on that one.:D

In that case maybe that old friend needs to die a quiet death! :wink: Put permanently on emergency use status only would work, too.

You might want to double check that price with Olympus, my memory ain't what she used to be...just ask Ted! :eek:ut:

Yeah, Dee, and as that 80s song goes (now I'm dating my wrinkled self), "Always something there to remind me...."

I guess there's always something that will remind me of the past, and a camera with a convulted provenance will spur those memories and record memories at the same time.

The 3000 is, as you suggested, now a backup for my current "girlfriend" -- but don't tell my wife that....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom