Fixing a dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dropped my brand new light. Not an expensive one but still....a subgear sp30. Hit on the light emitting side. It works but at different angles it will turn off or flash off....not something I want to take with me now. Is this something I can fix or for $80 should I just buy another one?

Your call. Open it up and see what you screwed up. Sounds like a contact problem, something knocked loose. Busted now, what harm can you do.

If you replace it I personally would not bother with a 3C light. Get a newer lithium ion 18650 (DGX 600) or 26650 [XTAR D26 Whale]. Cost less, smaller, work better.

Good news. I took the batteries out to look inside and try and find what was loose and then I noticed the batteries...they were all dented on top. I put the batteries back in and noticed that they were barely flush with the end of the light. Put new batteries in and noticed they stuck out a noticeable amount from the end. I screwed the top back on with the new batteries and like magic, it all works. I honestly thought the drop would have broken something on the light before denting batteries.

I do appreciate the info on the new lithium lights. I'll check it out.

I had the same thing happen with a light a few years ago. Didn't notice the damaged battery 'til I tried using it in another light.

Back
Top Bottom