Fishing for Goliath Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What type is the grouper that is usually served in Florida?

What type is the grouper that is usually served in Florida?

Lots of complicated restrictions, seasons, etc, etc, etc........but to 'generally' answer your question of:
"usually served in Florida" that would be Gag, Black & Red Grouper species in that order of popularity. Also grouper is sold in Florida that is NOT HARVESTED in Florida waters.

Commercial sales to a wholesaler from FLA harvest is limited to:
red grouper, gag grouper, black grouper, scamp, yellowfin grouper, yellowmouth grouper, yellowedge grouper, snowy grouper,
{Citation = 68B-14.0045 Commercial Harvest Requirements}

Don't even get me started on 'Fake Grouper' being sold as grouper in restaruants

Lots of complicated restrictions, seasons, etc, etc, etc........but to 'generally' answer your question of:
"usually served in Florida" that would be Gag, Black & Red Grouper species in that order of popularity. Also grouper is sold in Florida that is NOT HARVESTED in Florida waters.

Commercial sales to a wholesaler from FLA harvest is limited to:
red grouper, gag grouper, black grouper, scamp, yellowfin grouper, yellowmouth grouper, yellowedge grouper, snowy grouper,
{Citation = 68B-14.0045 Commercial Harvest Requirements}

Don't even get me started on 'Fake Grouper' being sold as grouper in restaruants
Thanks! I was wondering...We like "Grouper and Chips" on 41 in Naples. I appreciate the detailed response!

Much of restaurant quality fish served in S. Florida restaurants comes from central and south America

While the smaller GG's are more desirable for table fare, it's the 300# and up population that is ravaging the reefs and wrecks and need to be culled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom