Fishing and diving conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
My family will be visiting next week staying at the Cozumel hotel and resort by Wyndham. Wife and I have been multiple times but will be the first trip bringing our boys. We are looking at diving and possibly a day of offshore fishing.

I was wondering if anyone can give current updates on the dive conditions specifically current. My 12 year old will finally be able to ditch the 7mm wetsuit and do some warm water diving. I’m just hoping the current isn’t ripping to fast for him.

Fishing looking for any advice on the fishing happen now. Any recommendations for charter operations. It will be my wife and two kids on the boat. I would like to target pelagics (tuna,wahoo) if they are around.

Thanks,
Scott

Nobody can answer that really. The current changes constantly, even on any given reef, even from hour to hour. Some are more prone to fast currents than others, but you still never really know until you get there. You can do a dive where the current is ripping then go to the next reef over for your second dive and have it be like floating in a lazy river. Just let the DM know what's up and they will make sure to take you to an appropriate site for your son's first drift dives, until they can gauge how everyone is doing.

I've had more than a couple boat trips where the DM checked the current at the planned site and said "nope" and took everyone to a different site for that dive. They won't put you or your son in danger.

edit: and sorry I know nothing about fishing, not my thing!

Hi,
My family will be visiting next week staying at the Cozumel hotel and resort by Wyndham. Wife and I have been multiple times but will be the first trip bringing our boys. We are looking at diving and possibly a day of offshore fishing.

I was wondering if anyone can give current updates on the dive conditions specifically current. My 12 year old will finally be able to ditch the 7mm wetsuit and do some warm water diving. I’m just hoping the current isn’t ripping to fast for him.

Fishing looking for any advice on the fishing happen now. Any recommendations for charter operations. It will be my wife and two kids on the boat. I would like to target pelagics (tuna,wahoo) if they are around.

Thanks,
Scott
I have fished Cozumel a lot over the last 35 years or so. We always go in April or May; that's when it's supposed to be the best. The fact that that is when the tournaments are in the area bears that out. What we usually catch are dorado (mahi mahi) and billfish. We catch a blackfin tuna occasionally (not often) but they usually only run about 15-20 lbs - nothing like the big yellowfin tuna some friends of mine get into in the Gulf south of New Orleans. Wahoo are not that common either.

Most of the fishing boats usually go across the channel and troll a mile or so off the Yucatan.

I got back yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with the visibility. The current was light but gaining on Sunday - Monday. The visibility from mid reef (Punta Sur thru Cedral) to shore was hazy with shore/surf debris in it but on the outboard side it was good, mid reef it was from about 80-120" and over the wall it was great and it was channel water and 300'+ visibility. The lighting was great and the wall was stunningly beautiful, best I have seen it in several years (classic July conditions). I would roll the wall to depth to hunt Pez Leon and get side tracked with the absolutely stunning beauty. Granted the Pez Leon population is getting thin but I should gotten more if I had not been gawking:D. temps were 85 on the reef crest and 83F at depth.
As for fishing I recommend my neighbor Pedro @ https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithpedro1/. The previous governor (before extradition and incarceration), a local boy always used him and he has always caught fish when I have gone out with him (and he is a hell of a nice guy).

I have been fishing a few times the past month with some great catches! Mostly Dorado. We did get a few wahoo and a huge snapper! The crew estimated it weighing 40 kilos, I think they may have exaggerated a little! We fish with Albatros Charters. www.albatroscharters.com Diving has been great. Water is warm with little current. That can change daily!

Attachments

• 6B8DD4F8-3C11-44C9-A6D6-156B948F0C79.jpeg
    6B8DD4F8-3C11-44C9-A6D6-156B948F0C79.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 77
Thank you for the responses. I will take a look at the above charters. I’ve got my fair share of Bluefin already this year so it might be fun to target bottom fish. Nice fish Judy. Cubera?

Thank you for the responses. I will take a look at the above charters. I’ve got my fair share of Bluefin already this year so it might be fun to target bottom fish. Nice fish Judy. Cubera?
Yes!

Just to be clear, dorado (mahi mahi) are not bottom feeders, and they are by far the most commonly caught fish from charter boats. Watch for circling and diving frigate birds; they are pretty good dorado spotters.

Back
Top Bottom