Fisherman diver in hospital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is the DeepL.com translation from Alerta Cozumel. Could be DCS or a COVID-19 complication. I've read at least one report of COVID-19 causing lung damage even in asymptomatic cases that would be disqualifying for diving. Bad news any way you slice it:

This afternoon, a 58-year-old fisherman was rushed to the hospital because he was having difficulty breathing after diving to the bottom of the sea a couple of times.

It was around 1:30 p.m. today, when municipal police went to the North Coast Highway at the Empedrado Zone, as they reported a drowned person,

The officers interviewed Gregorio E.I., 40 years old, who said he was in charge of the boat "SUSY", where he went fishing today with his employee José Ignacio C.C., 58 years old.

José Ignacio, upon leaving the water after having done his fishing job, began to feel bad, mentioning that he needed air since he could not breathe properly, he said.

He called 911 so that when he arrived at the coast he would be helped with medical attention.

The paramedics from Amerimet went to the above location and proceeded to provide medical attention to the semi-conscious male, who was then taken to the general hospital.

Unfortunately, the fisherman's health is reported as serious and his life is in danger, which is why he is in the hospital.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Unfortunately, he did not make it. I have seen no reference to Covid-19 in association with this accident, either.

Just to be clear, my comments about COVID are my own speculation, but based somewhat on this article: Covid - 19 potential impact on divers — Advanced Diving New Zealand. The story about this diver references, "feeling bad", "difficulty breathing", and "diving to the bottom a couple of times", but mentions no other typical DCS symptoms. Maybe it was just a heart attack. Again, sad, any way you slice it.

Unfortunately, he did not make it. I have seen no reference to Covid-19 in association with this accident, either.

Chambers are at CMC, International and where else? I thought there were three here........

The other chamber is Clinica San Miguelon 6 norte between av 5 and 10.where my friend Dr. Pasqual Pioccolo works. Good Guy.

I guess the International is the one that used to be called the SSS chamber and is right across the street form Aldora's office on Calle 5

Dave Dillehay

The other chamber is Clinica San Miguelon 6 norte between av 5 and 10.where my friend Dr. Pasqual Pioccolo works. Good Guy.

I guess the International is the one that used to be called the SSS chamber and is right across the street form Aldora's office on Calle 5

Dave Dillehay

Piccalo is at CMC or is a different name?

Fisherman was taken to international but no pesos no chamber ride.......

DR. Piccolo is not at CMC, his chamber is at Clinica San Miguel.

Dave

That's sad. I would understand a little more for a tourist, but I think a local should be taken care of.

@ChuckP . I'm a volunteer tender at the International Hospital. In the past, they have treated local fishermen there for DCS. I have not been a tender this past year, so I can't say if they have or have not changed anything.
The International Hospital is still part of the SSS Hyperbaric Chamber Network.

Dr. Pascual Piccolo is at Hospital Médica San Miguel on calle 6 Norte

The article says nothing about COVID19. It also says the ambulance called was from Amerimed which I found odd since the call was about a diver in distress and they don't have a chamber. Also they were up North. I guess it just depends on who took the call first.

The chambers are at Hospital Médica San Miguel, International Hospital, and CMC (Costa Med) Hospital. There is no Hyperbaric Chamber at Amerimed. There used to be a chamber at the Hospital General and I hear a few months ago it was out of service. I don't know if it is currently in use anymore.

I sure hope this man makes a recovery. My prayers go out to him and his family.

Back
Top Bottom