Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have good websites which will aid in fish identification, for example, I have a fish I want to identify that I took a picture of in Hawaii,

Now while I can find a lot of sites with pictures of fish from Hawaii, it's hard to find which fish it is without just going through every picture, right now I'm not even able to identify what category (beyond Fish) to look in.

Any good advice, or am I doomed to just reading and looking at lots of pictures?

Try posting it here, and i'm sure someone will be able to help you identify it :)

-----

Mike.

This is the fellow

fish1.jpg

But I guess overall I'm looking to try and be able to better identify fish myself, at least basic stuff, currently I either KNOW what a particular fish is, or have no clue, I can't say "well it's probably this family because of X, Y and Z"

Probably just another pipe dream, but hey... can live in hope.

Hawaii fish are pretty easy to narrow down once you get a few characteristics down. Like hawkfish tend to be resting on the reef unlike most hawaii fish. Surgeonfish have the barb on their tails. Wrasses have a recognizable shape and are usually crazy colors...etc etc. Like any other place you look up fish for awhile and you'll start to get them down.

That is a cool looking little fellow. :)

-----

Mike.

They can get pretty big, as far as hawkfish go...the biggest I've seen was about 11-12". The Hawaiian name is po'o-pa'a which means hard head.

Back
Top Bottom