Fish ID SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today I was snorkeling/freediving scouting lobster spots when this guy was spotted in about 22’ of water right ontop of the drop off in Fort Lauderdale beach. I know this isn’t a good picture but it’s all I have as I found him after looking at a lobster and when I went back down it was nowhere to be seen.

AA18D20F-F46B-49D8-A5A8-49BFA41BC33E.jpeg

It reminded me of a panther grouper in shape with a high arched back but it was brownish/black and no dots. Hopefully someone can ID it.

Dive on,
Nick

Today I was snorkeling/freediving scouting lobster spots when this guy was spotted in about 22’ of water right ontop of the drop off in Fort Lauderdale beach. I know this isn’t a good picture but it’s all I have as I found him after looking at a lobster and when I went back down it was nowhere to be seen.

View attachment 468717

It reminded me of a panther grouper in shape with a high arched back but it was brownish/black and no dots. Hopefully someone can ID it.

Dive on,
Nick
Soapfish, Rypticus saponaceus

People on here never cease to amaze me.

Thanks,
Nick

Greater soapfish. Pretty common hiding during the day.

Back
Top Bottom