Fish ID Books for Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrea1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in RA in March and I think about bringing a book for fish ID, I know its heavy to carry on and there are some online options, but still I like very much to bring a ID book and use it in the evenings after diving to look up the fish I have on my gopro. Is there a recomendable book in your opinion? I hope I am in the right forum with this question?!
Thanks for every answer, very appreciated!
Andrea

I will be in RA in March and I think about bringing a book for fish ID, I know its heavy to carry on and there are some online options, but still I like very much to bring a ID book and use it in the evenings after diving to look up the fish I have on my gopro. Is there a recomendable book in your opinion? I hope I am in the right forum with this question?!
Thanks for every answer, very appreciated!
Andrea
One of the better books is available electronically:

The bible is a three-volume set:

The latter has been availabe electronically:
but your success may vary...

Thank you so much, I will check this!!
Andrea

Here is a problem: in Raja Ampat there is so much more than fish that you want to ID! So you may need the Creature and Nudibranch books, too.

If I have it like a PDF ebook , I don't need WIFI to use it, right?

If I have it like a PDF ebook , I don't need WIFI to use it, right?
Correct. I find the pdf good for searching for keywords, but difficult to just page through the way you can with a hardcopy. On trips, I take the pdf, my wife takes the book.

Thats the point, books are maybe better to compare pictures and give a better overview. Combination is probably the best - I might have some books at home and take them with me, and try some online versions to get used to it and try something new. Thank you for the links!!
Greetings from Vienna
Andrea

Back
Top Bottom