Fish i.d. software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDunbar

Registered
Reaction score
Another great fish i.d. resource:

"Fishes of the Caribbean and Adjacent Waters"
Third Edition
www.reefnet.ca

I became acquainted with this software while on a trip to Bonaire. (Thanks, Jerry.) It has a browser which has fantastic pics. and often video of different fish which are sorted by all species.

If you have even partial information on a fish you are trying to identify (color, shape, etc.) you can do a search, and the software will give you possible matches. It also contains several useful reference tools, including anatomical drawings and scientific references.

There are several learning tools, including customizable fish quizzes and fish i.d. tips and techniques. You can also prepare some amazing presentations for either instruction for just entertainment purposes. It even has a sightings log which one can utilize.

Overall, I really recommend this software, if for nothing else, just for the incredible photography, both still and video. (There are often 5-10 pics. of any certain fish, along with a video.) I'd love to have something like this for other waters of the world.

Check it out! It's available in both CD or DVD.

Thanks, SD. I have the original and it's quite good but this expanded version sounds really great. I love my Humann books because it's so quick and easy to look something up. But if I have the time, I prefer the Reefnet CD for the more involved and extensive information.

Totally agree on the Humann books. However, if you're sitting at work and at a lull.....

I just received the DVD version of the latest ReefNet release. It is very impressive, as their software always has been. (BTW Dee - I'm also pretty sure ReefNet will upgrade you to the new version at a very reduced rate.)

I'm happy to say that 7 more photographs of mine are contained in this latest release, bringing my total to 13. If you're curious, go to the "ABOUT THIS SOFTWARE" tab, then to "Contributing Photographers" and double-click my name.

One of the new species I contributed for the 3rd edition, the Painted Wrasse (Halichoeres caudalis) is my very own fish! I collected him off Pensacola, and photographed him in my home 120-gallon tank.
He's a celebrity now! :fish:

gbundersea:
I'm happy to say that 7 more photographs of mine are contained in this latest release, bringing my total to 13. If you're curious, go to the "ABOUT THIS SOFTWARE" tab, then to "Contributing Photographers" and double-click my name.

One of the new species I contributed for the 3rd edition, the Painted Wrasse (Halichoeres caudalis) is my very own fish! I collected him off Pensacola, and photographed him in my home 120-gallon tank. He's a celebrity now! :fish:

Where can I find it? on the CD or on the web?

justleesa:
Where can I find it? on the CD or on the web?
Here's an unretouched (except for auto-equalize) version of the picture ReefNet used. It's not a particularly appealing picture; it just happened to show the characteristics of a species they lacked. The fish himself is very beautiful, and much more so in person. (Or should that be "in fish"???) I caught him in July 2001, as a juvenile perhaps 1.25" long. He is now 7-8" in length.
2446.jpg

Here's another look at him:
2660.jpg

For such a star.....what's his name? :D Congratulations on the find! I'll check into an upgrade...thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom