First wheel change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neptune1

Reaction score
Well ,had my first wheel change yesterday.Got a call for what I thought was to remove a crab trap from a wheel and found that one of the flukes was completely broke off.So the captain asked me to remove it and replace with his new wheel.After explaining to him that Ive never pulled a wheel and also didn't have a puller yet he insisted that I try anyway.So after about 30min of finesse and a few blows from a small sledge I managed to remove it.Next was the hard part installing the new wheel.Being that I was in 9ft of water I managed to put a crab pot underneath me and wrestled the 28inch wheel onto the shaft.Once I managed the wheel back on everything else went back together easily....after struggling the way I did can any of you more experienced divers give me any pointers on how you float a wheel and also what would have made this job easier...Thanks Bobby m

Next time you have to float a large prop, lash a fender tightly to it

fenders.jpg

and it will be pretty close to neutral and easily maneuverable underwater. You got lucky, being able to remove the prop without a puller. 99% of the time you won't be successful without one.

BTW- propellers have "blades", anchors have "flukes". :eyebrow:

Thanks for the info fstbttms.I'll try the fender next time.And your right about me being lucky because the tide was low enough that I could stand on a crab pot and reach the shaft....If it wasn't for that I definately would have had to float it..

Another way to get big props up onto the shaft is to hang it by a line off the transom. Then take successive wraps around the rudder post at the top of the rudder. Each wrap brings the prop up a bit closer to the shaft. Once you are close(but with enough slack in the line) lift the prop onto the shaft. This method is not particlualy easy and requires some muscle, but will get the job done if you have no other means to float the prop.

Carter lift bags also makes a nice bag made for installing props they are great for the real big ones just make shure you got you rigging right

Dude, you need to learn how to use rope to rig, sling and lift heavy objects. Rope is cheap and you can do all kinds of cool stuff with it that will save your back.

Life bags are also a really good tool and you can make you own sometimes if you are in a pinch and need to lift or move a heavy object. Think fish net and mulitple trash bags, tarp with gromits, etc.

An old fashioned inner-tube works well, too. I have a couple with the valve core removed, and just use the valve cap to seal it. I inflate it, center it on the prop, and lash each blade to it. For the big stuff though, muddiver is right- I try to sling some lines , and use a cheap Harbour Freight chain hoist to lift it in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom