First UW Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the two you mentioned, Sea & Sea.

Dee,
Thanks! I just got my reefmaster rc back from sealife yesterday. LOL. Seriously though, can you give us a little feedback on a few of the advantages of the sea & sea vs. reefmaster. I don't think it would be too hard to unload mine on ebay. Thanks!

I'm just going on personal experience. I started with a Sea & Sea MX-10 and have always liked the quality of all the S&S cameras, both the quality of the woprkmanship and their performance. In general, of course. I've never used a Reefmaster but have several friends who have/had them. They didn't seem as well made and some of the accessories were sometimes really cheaply made.

Of course, this member didn't give us any information to go on so I don't know which S&S and Reefmaster cameras they are talking about, or whether it's film or digital.

If you're pleased with your Reefmaster, that's all that counts!

my first underwater camera was a 35 mm Ikelite. couldn't get any lower tech or
cheaper (i think i paid $120 for both camera and housing). i had A BLAST with it;
took tons of pictures, showed off my blurry pictures of current-swept mud to
all and sundry, and just loved it.

IMHO, when it comes to your first camera, you just can't go wrong. you'll be learning basic things like figuring out what makes a good picture, how close is right (it's much, much, much closer than you think) and so on. all the nifty features will be wasted
on you for a while anyway.

however, if i were to start all over again, i would start with a digital camera. you
get to take lots more pics, no costs to develop, and that means you practice, practice, practice more.

I've seen quite a few Motor Marine II Ex setups for sale cheap - in fact there is one on SB now somewhere. These are often including the strobe/ Wide angle etc. That's how I started myself - second hand MM II Ex. JustLeesa posted a link yesterday to a Oly C-5050 review where the guy actually said that the C-5050 was now serious competition to the MM II only because Inon had designed the strobe synching system!!! High praise for the MM II indeed. It is indeed a great camera. It's a film camera though (better for some - different anyway!) so you do have to wait till the pics are processed before you can see what you did (wrong or right)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom