First UW Camera Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to build a basic budget UW camera system. I previously had a GoPro, but recently bought a Olympus TG-4. On FL east coast, most of my diving is 50-100 ft, so I need housing - either the Oly or Ikelite housing. I like that the Oly housing gives me the option of deeper diving in the future, but thought I had seen posts re leaking issues - is this a problem?

Besides the housing, I guess my initial needs are strobe & tray/handle/arm. My Gobe 500 search spot could be used as a focus light, so that would require a second arm.
I've priced - Ikelite tray w/quick release dual handles $99, Sea & Sea YS 03 + fiber optic cable $288, and would still need flexi or ball arms system.

Packages available, would give me tray, single arm/handle, strobe:
$430 Ikelite AF35 Strobe Package AF35 strobe, flex arm, autoflash sensor, single handle, tray and mounting hardware
$320 Sea & Sea YS-03 strobe & FO cable, Compact flex arm with neoprene sleeve, Compact digital tray

The next addition would be a video light - but would a BigBlue vl2800p video light for $260 be effective as a video light? Or is there another decent, budget option.

I like diving (and hopefully will photograph) everything from Blue Heron Bridge macro to reefs/wrecks, and night/blackwater dives. The housings are $300, so I'd like to keep the strobe & tray system under $500. If anyone can help me as I sort through options, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Thank you! I like that strobe the best, so I think I'll go with that package as well. I love your photos, looks like it's served you well! :callme:

Growing up in Pensacola and vacationing in St. George, and I never knew there was good diving in the area, aside from spearing... :oops:

Thanks!

Thanks, it looks great! The Gobe 500 spot is great for looking in holes, but a bright wide beam would be awesome for a better view during night dives.

[QUOTE="Skeptic14,
nice pics I just went through Albums

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom