First UW Camera - HELP... S-100 or DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RofT

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm recently certified and I'd like to get a camera for underwater. Like everyone else I'm on a budget. I know I can get really nice and expensive cameras but my budget won't allow for that, :(

By coincidence I'm also going to Hawaii for holiday and my wife booked me a night dive with Manta Ray (cool).

I've been looking at the Canon S-100 and SeaLife DC1400. Anything else I should consider?
Hears what I've gathers so far...

BackScatter.com:
  • Doesn't like SeaLife
  • Doesn't like Canon housing
  • Recommends upgrade flash to TTL
  • Upgrade housing, don't use Canon
  • Purchase Fish-Eye Lens

Fish-Eye is better for large targets like Manta Ray - SeaLife doesn't have one but will in September so... I might get lucky there.

If I get the Canon S-100 (around $2.5k) with upgrades from BackScatter that will be 2.5 times the price of SeaLife ($1K). WAY over what I wanted to spend but I want something that will last a while and I'll be happy with.

Any suggestions what me greatly appreciated. Thanks,

What are your current and future goals for underwater photography? Buy something that fits with your goals.

The SeaLife products are great. SeaLife has excellent customer service. The cameras shoot above-average quality. The only qualms are the lack of manual control, though the DC1400 has some. The Canon Powershot S100 is a great camera and one of the most versatile point-and-shoots. It shoots excellent quality and has a multitude of manual options that will help improve your shots as your skills improve.

So I'd say the SeaLife if you're looking for something affordable and easy to use, and the S100 if you're looking for something that will likely grow with your photography goals, eventually leading to much better shots. Also, for the S100, I wouldn't go with the Canon housing. The Ikelite housing is good, but the more expensive RecSea (and some other ones) have full control of all the buttons.

You don't have to purchase from Backscatter. Check out other sites (B&H, Bluewaterphoto, etc.) or used sites (like Craigslist, etc.) or just buy each section from multiple places. You may save a lot.

I always hate to see the terms "recently certified" and "what camera do I buy" in the same post. New divers are still learning and there are many more things that should have your attention besides a camera.

But that said I'd buy a Sealife until your skills will allow you to either take photographs (not just point and shoot pictures) or decide you are not an underwater photography fan. They are a great all around camera. In fact I would get a DC1000 or DC1200 since the prices are reasonable for new and used units right now and the use the same lenses and accessories and many of the older versions so are easy to build up. I shoot one and have gotten some very nice photo's with it. And the support and service from SeaLife is very strong.

Enjoy the mantas!

Back
Top Bottom