First Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaz1308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having read through some of the other posts and by doing my own research, it seemas as if the Canon G12, and Powershot S95 are good contenders and potentially the Sea&Sea DX-2G.

However, as someone who isn't particularly good/knowledgable about underwater cameras and housing, or even basic photography... Which of the above, or any additional, would you guys suggest? I have ~£1000 to spend on the whole package.

Sorry if this is similar to a lot of the other newbie photographer/camera posts.
I'd appreciate any help/advice that could be given.

Cheers

First off, welcome to scubaboard. Second, you can ask any question you want...while the same sort of question may have been asked before, your needs and views will change the answer, as does time.

I have a G series, and S series cannon, Several Fuji, several Panasonics and will have an Oly shortly. Every camera has some good points and bad points.

So, if you have a wish list, here are some features to put on it:

1. The camera can shoot raw images... not that critical of an issue on land,but underwater you may find yourself needing to do a white balance adjustment... and it is the only way to effectively do that. (say you are taking fish images, and a shark swims by...you turn off the strobe and now will have a really mono-chrome image if you don't have raw)

2. The lens goes from at least 28mm to around 100.

3. The lens travel is not very much (this effects your ability to add wet lens later)

4. There is a good, affordable case for the camera.

5. The camera is fast...

So, right now, the better point and shoots that will do raw are Fuji F550, Canon G12, Canon S95, Pany LX-5, Oly XZ-1 and a Nikon. The Nikon is rather slow, so will rule that one out right away.

The fuji takes lovely images... has a very nicely made low cost case, but the lens covers a huge zoom range... and travels way too much for any add on lens to work...it also does not do as close of macro as several others.

The G12 also has a larger zoom range (though no where near the size of the Fuji)...and is bigger. The cannon case works, but it is not well built and the next price point is Ikelite...not a huge fan, but they are better made.

The S95 has much smaller zoom range...not a bad camera. Again, the cannon case works, but if you dive a lot, it will not last that long (but everything is relative). It can use add on lens

The pany is a lovely camera...and the only down side is there is not pany case (although they do make nice cases for other cameras).. so you have to buy one of the very nice, but very expensive metal cases...or the Ikelite (which I think makes one now)...I have a 10Bar...which I like... but it costs twice what the camera does.

The new kid on the block is the Oly....the camera costs a bit more, it has a lovely, very fast lens, and the underwater case is actually very nice (and reasonable in price). There are also some very good oly wide angle and macro add ons. I've heard there are issue with using optical ttl with the YS-1 strobe.... but images I have seem are first rate...

So if I were getting a camera today, it would be the Oly... because the package cost is less for what you get.

I am sure that the cannon owners (which I am one of) will all be upset by that...but I get to do a lot of timing and feature testing, and the oly is one nice camera.

I have the G11 with the cannon housing and have to say i've been pretty impressed. I am not much of a photo buff and am pretty pleased with the pictures I get with it on the underwater scene mode and auto iso. Got a basic photography book and am learning more about shooting manual, the nice thing is the camera is able to grow with me as I learn. Next purchase will probably be a stobe (inon s2000 in mind with a ULCS tray et al)

Matt, The G11 is a very nice camera, but if you ever have the chance to compare cases, there is a world of difference between it and a nicely made case. The back on the canon is a single o-ring, the hing is really weak (and gets sloppy with lots of use, and the buttons will stick very easily if not soaked in fresh water a lot. Fuji cases, by comparison, have double seals, the hing is twice the size and the buttons are stronger and better working. That does not take away the fact that the G11 is a great cameera. You just have to be more careful with the case over time. By time, I mean hundrreds of dives, by the way. If all you make is under 30 dives per year, then it will last years.

I have the G11 with the cannon housing and have to say i've been pretty impressed. I am not much of a photo buff and am pretty pleased with the pictures I get with it on the underwater scene mode and auto iso. Got a basic photography book and am learning more about shooting manual, the nice thing is the camera is able to grow with me as I learn. Next purchase will probably be a stobe (inon s2000 in mind with a ULCS tray et al)

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your help/advice.
I really would have been lost without you.

Having had a look around, and being a complete novice, I think I am going to go with your suggestion of the Oly XZ-1 and it's housing.
It looks relatively sturdy and the reviews have been nothing but positive about them.

Thanks again!
Here's to the beginning of hopefully a somewhat more advanced photography learning experience!

Another option to consider would be the Nikon P7000 with a Fantasea housing. It is not as expensive as the Olympus PEN and aside from interchangeable lenses will give you very close results.

Here is a review I posted on Wetpixel about this bundle:
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Review

One of its biggest advantages is a very short shutter lag time.

The G12 also has a larger zoom range (though no where near the size of the Fuji)...and is bigger. The cannon case works, but it is not well built and the next price point is Ikelite...not a huge fan, but they are better made.
The Canon housings are very affordable though so you can probably replace them three times for the cost of one Ikelite anyways :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom