First trip to Curacao in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe_Schmoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be going with my wife and step daughter on a cruise and one of the stops is in Curacao. I have scoured most of the dive shops websites, dug deep into TripAdvisors reviews, and looked on Facebook at the dive shops too.

I am trying to avoid a cattle call dive shop, looking for great diving with experienced dive shop and dive master. Can anyone recommend such a dive shop in Curacao?

One problem I think I'm going to have is my ship Carnival Horizon doesn't get into port until 1:30 PM and disembarkation is 2:30 PM, which might cause a problem with some dive shops.

I will have all of my own gear except for a wet suit and tanks. I'm the only diver in the group, so I'll be going solo unless I meet someone on the ship that dives. It would be nice to have a dive shop that rents Nitrox tanks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One problem I think I'm going to have is my ship Carnival Horizon doesn't get into port until 1:30 PM and disembarkation is 2:30 PM, which might cause a problem with some dive shops.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you sure about those times? Me thinks there is a typo...

Are you sure about those times? Me thinks there is a typo...
Yes, I am sure of the times. I went to Carnivals web site to make sure I made the right times for this thread...No TYPO here!

Try Bas Harts Diving - they might be able to work something out. And I believe will pick you up at the port. Which for reference is just north of the Renaissance Hotel on the north side of the harbor in Willemstad.

Otherwise you could try the shore dive at the Dive Bus which is at Pierbaai Beach about 15 mins by cab from the cruise prt. They might be a little fussy about solo diving - several shops there are.
Deeper off the site is one of the famous Carpile Wreck sites which is exactly what it sounds like. The cars are in pretty rough shape though - been down a long time. Contact them and ask Suzi if she has any other options - she may suggest someone else. Her and Mark are nice people.

Contact Caribbean Sea Sports also - they're 5-10 mins. north of the port in Piscadera Bay and do guided shore dives off their beach. It's not the best dive on Curacao but it's wet. The unusual thing with them right now is they were at the Marriott and the Hilton. The Marrott closed for renovation a few years ago and may soon reopen. Now the Hilton has announced it is also so I"m not sure of their status.

That late I'd pretty much give up on a boat dive - most are back by then.Or out west on a 2nd dive.

We did find one shop willing to take us around 2pm but my group was 8 so we basically paid for the charter. They closed a few years ago.

It seems odd that it will take an hour since all you're doing is walking off the ship at the Megapier but I've never been to that facility.

Once the ship docks, there are formalities they have to go through before letting people off. And I wonder if people with paid excursions through the ship may get priority? Bottom line, you might not set foot on the pier till a little later.

Pay attention to departure time. You need time to get picked up, taken to the site, gear up, dive, and get back to the ship (I'm assuming you want to rent gear so you don't have to rinse & deal with the hassle) at a set time before departure.

Enjoy Curacao; it's a neat island.

Ocean Encounters! They have a ton of boats and late afternoon dive trips to nearby reef and shallow wrecks (30-60ft). OE operation is down close to the cruise ships port next to Mambo Beach area and Lions Dive hotel. Good dive shop with a the trinkets you would want to remember the island of Curacao!

Once the ship docks, there are formalities they have to go through before letting people off. And I wonder if people with paid excursions through the ship may get priority? Bottom line, you might not set foot on the pier till a little later.

Pay attention to departure time. You need time to get picked up, taken to the site, gear up, dive, and get back to the ship (I'm assuming you want to rent gear so you don't have to rinse & deal with the hassle) at a set time before departure.

Enjoy Curacao; it's a neat island.

Thanks drrich2, our departure time is 10:30 PM so this shouldn't be problem. Thanks for the heads up!

Try Bas Harts Diving - they might be able to work something out. And I believe will pick you up at the port. Which for reference is just north of the Renaissance Hotel on the north side of the harbor in Willemstad.

Otherwise you could try the shore dive at the Dive Bus which is at Pierbaai Beach about 15 mins by cab from the cruise prt. They might be a little fussy about solo diving - several shops there are.
Deeper off the site is one of the famous Carpile Wreck sites which is exactly what it sounds like. The cars are in pretty rough shape though - been down a long time. Contact them and ask Suzi if she has any other options - she may suggest someone else. Her and Mark are nice people.

Contact Caribbean Sea Sports also - they're 5-10 mins. north of the port in Piscadera Bay and do guided shore dives off their beach. It's not the best dive on Curacao but it's wet. The unusual thing with them right now is they were at the Marriott and the Hilton. The Marrott closed for renovation a few years ago and may soon reopen. Now the Hilton has announced it is also so I"m not sure of their status.

That late I'd pretty much give up on a boat dive - most are back by then.Or out west on a 2nd dive.

We did find one shop willing to take us around 2pm but my group was 8 so we basically paid for the charter. They closed a few years ago.

I will reach out to each of them and see what I can come up with...Great information, Thank you!

Ocean Encounters! They have a ton of boats and late afternoon dive trips to nearby reef and shallow wrecks (30-60ft). OE operation is down close to the cruise ships port next to Mambo Beach area and Lions Dive hotel. Good dive shop with a the trinkets you would want to remember the island of Curacao!
I will check them out, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom