First trip to Cozumel, trip report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading the board, we (wife and I) decided to book Blue Angle Resort. Resort, dive shop and shore diving were thing that played into the selection.
RESORT: Blue Angle Resort. Not sure how to rate the resort. It is very utilitarian, concrete floor and hallways, you do not feel bad about walking around in a wet suit that is dripping. You can walk into the bathroom wearing a wet suit and the shower is big enough to take off the wet suit, There is a drain in the main part of the bathroom if you get crazy in the shower. All was clean.

There are rails to hang all dive gear on the balcony to dry. Balconies have a table and chairs that overlooks the pool and dock. They added more lounge chairs while we were there. Quite a few people were using the pool.

The beds were softer then most we have had in Mexico. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is on a busy road and the rooms are close. The restaurant has live contemporary music at night. There is a note in the room that earplugs are available at the front desk, we did not need them and enjoyed the music. All was generally pretty quiet by 10:00, anyway.

DIVE SHOP/BOATS: Staff was very helpful with check in and the Regulators and BCs that we rented were in good shape. Got a big bread basket to store our gear and a lock and key.We could get to it 24/7.

We picked up the gear the day before the first boat dive, no charge for gear that day. We did our shore dive and got our weights sorted out. Tanks are out side the dive shop so available 24/7 but I think they had a sign no diving after 11PM. We had signed up for the 8AM boat dives. The next morning we were on the boat. There were 4 of us and then we picked up 3 more divers at other resorts. Then the divers were asked where we wanted to dive. Man, all I needed was a pop quiz. Hey man, I am on vacation! So a spot was picked, and into the water we go. Entry is by a back roll off the side of the boat. They hang a ladder off the side when getting in the boat and you climb up with the tank on your back, but if you needed to take off your tank in the water it was OK with the boat crew. 3 of the boats that I was on were pongas with a 200 hp to 250 hp outboard motor. The 4th was a cabin cruiser that they used for the night dive, giant stride off the back to get in the water. Most dives were about an hour long ( I think the shortest was 40 minutes) and you were to stay with the dive master (that seemed to mean if they could see your air bubbles, you were OK). After each dive you were given fruit and cake and water. Depending how deep and where the next dive was would dictate if you would stop on shore. I am not a fan of drift diving but the visibility and the stuff was such that it was OK. I enjoyed it so much that when we got back to the resort I went in to see if I could get on the afternoon dive, was told no room and then someone walk up and canceled. Wife said 2 dive a day were enough for her. The next 4 days I added the afternoon dives the night before with no problems. One day they had 3 boats go out for the afternoon dives. We also did the night dive. So my 5 days of dives I did 21 dives. The deepest was 90 feet. I think there were 5 different dive masters and all were good. The afternoon boats got back to the dock about 4:30. Happy hours started at 4PM and runs to 6:30 PM so a quick clean up and off to get 2 for 1 Margarita and 2 appetizer for the price of one. The restaurant having a view made it a easy place to have dinner. Food was good.

By 8 PM I was ready for bed.

SHORE DIVE: The entry is a little rocky and with a little wave action can make it not fun. Most do a giant stride off the boat dock and swim over to the pen to dive.

Other Information:
We like Southwest Airlines, they have a Non-stop from Denver to Cancun. We are retired so we thought we'd do a few days in Playa del Carmen. We did the Bus to Playa del Carmenand, the drag to our hotel (was easy). We found a taxi that gave a 200 peso hour rate. Had him give us a tour of Playa del Carmen and two days later had him take us to Aktun Chen ( I like to have someone else do the driving so I can look around). We liked Playa del Carmen, it was a fun place. We did a trip to Aktun Chen to snorkel in a Cenotes (rated the best for snorkel). What I did not know is they have a walking tour of 3 Cenotes that were more like small caverns. Well lit and interesting formations. It was great. Think we liked it as well or better than the snorkel cave, which is good. If you think about it the Cenotes are formed with water in the bottom half so there is nothing to see in the bottom half , you have stalactites but no stalagmites. I would say do the cave tour if you can only do one, we did both. Other have given excellent advice on the bus and ferry so not going to add any thing here.

All in all, it was a great trip. We enjoyed the ruins at Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza. (Note from the wife – “Not to be missed” is the evening dance show at Xcharet Park. At 4:00 the entry fee drops a bit, and since we had no particular interest in their beach or inner-tube river rides, it left us with time to see the grounds, the aquarium and butterfly pavilion before the show. We were both awed with this evening performance that gave us everything from history, to the Mayan ball games, to amazing musical performances. Even my husband was impressed with the stage engineering that was involved. Great fun!)

After reading the board, we (wife and I) decided to book Blue Angle Resort. Resort, dive shop and shore diving were thing that played into the selection.
RESORT: Blue Angle Resort. Not sure how to rate the resort. It is very utilitarian, concrete floor and hallways, you do not feel bad about walking around in a wet suit that is dripping. You can walk into the bathroom wearing a wet suit and the shower is big enough to take off the wet suit, There is a drain in the main part of the bathroom if you get crazy in the shower. All was clean.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and your stay at "my" hotel. I don't quite understand your comment about not being sure how to rate the hotel, though. I didn't see you mention anything about it that you did not like. I love the place; I'll be there for 10 days in May for about the 30th time. :D

One of the better, more useful trip reports I've read. Concise and broken up with a good choice of illustrative relevant photos, but with the info. a person needs to consider making this trip. Only thing I might've added would've been room, diving, car rental (if any) and airfare costs, but you did more than just a dive trip, so your costs may not be representative and the info. should be available online anyway.

As for rating the resort, I suppose it's a matter of perspective. A number of us accustomed to 'dive resorts' like some in Bonaire would consider the way you describe Blue Angel to be about what we'd expect. Utilitarian, clean, got what you need, even has some evening entertainment onsite.

Now, someone new to diving used to staying at mid-range to upscale U.S. hotels might not be satisfied. When you travel to different parts of the world, standards are different.

One good tidbit is that you did 21 dives in 5 days. This is a big deal. Some of us travel to dive. The total trip cost divided # of dives is a rough metric of trip value. For non-live aboard dive trips, the option to do 3 or 4 dives/day instead of 2 can be a deal changer, and does not exist in all destinations.

Some of the non-diving attractions you noted are also important. We get a number of threads asking about entertaining non-divers tagging along (often wives, sometimes kids; I still don't understand bringing non-diving friends on dive trips but to each their own), and this is good to know.

Richard.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and your stay at "my" hotel. I don't quite understand your comment about not being sure how to rate the hotel, though. I didn't see you mention anything about it that you did not like. I love the place; I'll be there for 10 days in May for about the 30th time. :D

Well it is not a 5 star hotel, not sure it is a 4 star but it had everything I was looking for in a well run dive resort. That was what I was thinking of when I wrote "Not sure how to rate the resort."

Well it is not a 5 star hotel, not sure it is a 4 star but it had everything I was looking for in a well run dive resort. That was what I was thinking of when I wrote "Not sure how to rate the resort."
Ah, yes, I see and I agree. BA is not a "mint on the pillow" resort, but for a clean well maintained place to sleep and base your activities from, it is hard to beat. The whole "stars" rating system doesn't really apply to a place like Blue Angel. Comparing it to an Omni or a Hyatt Regency in a metropolitan area doesn't really make sense.

from the sound of you going back for afternoon dives and accomplishing 21 dives in 5 days.....I'd say you now LIKE DRIFT DIVING.... :)
Thanks for sharing your report. I enjoyed the pix showing the island I miss!
Continued safe diving to you.

We stay at the BA every time we go to Coz. Love it for its location, dive shop, restaurant, and friendly staff. One thing we do now is bring clothesline and clothes pins to hook around the wood poles on top of the wall that separates our balcony from our neighbor's balcony. We can hang much more stuff that way. We learned that trick from our dive buddies who stay there all the time, too!

Thanks for the good report! I totally agree with what you said about the evening show at Xcaret Park. It's such a historical view of the Mayan culture and it's beautifully done with wonderful costuming. It's a must see!

Great report thanks.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom