first trip to cozumel mid-February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amm91

Reaction score
We're going to Cozumel around Feb11 for 8 days. Staying at the Occidental. There is supposed to be a dive shop on site but I can't figure out their name. Does anyone know the name, or recommend it? Thanks! Anne

Dive Palancar: http://www.divepalancarcozumel.com/home_dp.php

It is a decent op even though their website has no graceful exit. But they run quite short bottom times to keep on their 4 single tank dives per day schedule.

But you can have the best of both worlds. Set up 5 days of morning dives with one of the independent op like Blue XT (recommended) and get a 10 dive package from DP that you can share with your buddy. The package is not good for night dives but you can dive the 6th day and catch a few of the PM shallow dives (souther shallow reefs are great). I also recommend the night dives on those southern sites. It's usually hard to get an op to take you to them unless you are staying at one of the southern AI's.

I did not realize the Occidental (grand or allegro) would be operating by then. Who did you book thru? Thanks

We're staying at the Occidental Grand, which is opening Jan 31st after the hurricane clean up is done. We booked directly with the hotel. Are these 4 single tank dives in one particular area? any shore dives there? how conservative are they bottom times? maybe we should just dive with Blue XT... do they run a pick up shuttle? I didn't understand about the night dives (which we love) ... does dive palancar run night dives? Thanks! Anne

amm91:
We're staying at the Occidental Grand, which is opening Jan 31st after the hurricane clean up is done. We booked directly with the hotel. Are these 4 single tank dives in one particular area? any shore dives there? how conservative are they bottom times? maybe we should just dive with Blue XT... do they run a pick up shuttle? I didn't understand about the night dives (which we love) ... does dive palancar run night dives? Thanks! Anne

Never dove with Dive Palancar, but stayed at the Allegro and spoke with people that did dive with them. They tend to stay in the southern part of the island (nothing wrong with that). I'm not aware of any shore diving there. Expect bottom times of around 45 minutes. They do night dives, Mon, Wed and Fri as long there are enough divers.

Their reputation is a good operator for people not wanting longer bottom times and convenient for those staying at the resort. It's also pretty social since you'll see your boatmates around the resort too.

Most other dive operators can pick you up from the Allegro or Occidental dock if it's still there. If you are good with your air and would like bottom times of 60 minutes or more consider another operator.

amm91:

You are going to love the Grand. Everything about it is 1st class. Don't forget your "eatin britches" as they do enforce the dress code in the specialty restaurants. One problem you may have is making reservations to eat at them. I believe they take reservations between 10 and 12, or something like that so you either need to make a non-diving friend or catch them during the SI. Even their Pizza bar is great. And the deserts will hurt you.

DP generally only dives the reefs that are within 10 to 15 minutes of the resort. That is not a problem as those are most of the best reefs. If you bug them enough they may make the 25 minute run down to Maricibo or Punta Sur. Shore dive is OK for a checkout dive but there is not much to see - mostly sand and sea grass with just a few small piles of rubble. Depth is mostly 10 to 15 feet so a snorkel works just as well. A night snorkel around the dock should find interesting stuff including morays and squid. For bottom times DP plans 35 minutes for the deep dives and 40 minutes for the shallows. Another 5 minutes for the ascent and you are getting 40 to 45 minute dive. With Blue XT, your dives will go an hour or more as long as your air & NDLs permit. DP does night dives on most nights with bottom times going a bit longer - 40 to 45 minutes. Blue XT should also do night dive down south if they have 4 to 6 divers from the southern resorts - otherwise they usually stay further north for their night dives. I strongly recommend Blue XT 5 day package (you will need that non-diving friend for the specialy restaurant reservations) rounded out some DP dives if you would like. Don't miss the night dives on the southern reefs. Most folks who stay closer to town never see those reefs at night.

Another great dive that the larger northern boats won't make is columbia shallow - if emily and wilma didn't mess it up. It is only 20 to 25 ft but loaded with coral and lots of life. Be ready for 75 to 90 minutes of bottom time with operations like Blue XT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom