First trip to Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nucem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

My wife and I will be traveling to Costa Rica with a few friends for 4 days of diving with Ocotal resort in Febuary. Can anyone give us some info on the diving there. We are going to do just local and shore diving since the other couple gets sea sick easly. Does anyone know how the shore diving is there. Our package includes unlimited shore diving so we want to take advantage of it but I was wondering if it is any good. Also is there anything that we should or should not bring to make our stay more enjoyable. We all have our own equipment so we will be bringing that.

Thnaks in advance.

Hi. I have done a few trips to Costa Rica. It's a great vacation destination; it's a safe/stable country, things are reasonably priced, very friendly people, and tons of above water activities. We usually stay at the Playa Ocotal Beach Resort. It's a full service PADI dive resort overlooking a beautiful secluded black sand cove. The dive staff there is awesome. It’s just a short drive (10min) to the little resort town of Playa de Coccos for dinning and shopping.

As far as shore diving opportunities, the Playa Ocotal Beach resort sits within a rocky cove. I've only snorkeled around the rocky edges of cove in the past. It's a fun way to spend some time, but certainly nothing spectacular … shallow ... some juvenile fish … 10-20 ft of vis. If you're staying at the resort, and wanted to give it a try, your best bet would probably be to use the complementary sea kayaks, or rent a PWC, to explore the outer areas of the cove. The dive shop manager's name is Sisinio Alvarado. I'm sure that he’d be happy to answer any questions about the shore diving at the resort ( sisinio@ocotaldiving.com ). Here's a couple pics of the beach and bay at Ocotal:

http://www.ocotalresort.com/photogal...ayaranchos.htm
http://www.ocotalresort.com/photogallery/bahia3.htm
http://www.ocotalresort.com/photogal...errazaroca.htm

Be aware that the good diving in this area is primarily all offshore … typically around lava rock sea mounds or small islands. While it the area tends to lack some of the vibrant colors and corals of the Caribbean, what it does have going for it is the marine life. It's quite varied and plentiful around the local sites. It becomes more prolific at the outer Catalina and Bat Islands. Depending on the time of year, your chances of coming in contact with large pelagic species (mantas, whale sharks, hammerheads) is pretty good. My personal opinion is that you would really be missing out if you limited your diving to shore diving only at Ocotal.

Hello,

I saw that on www:"The water clarity may be better during the dry season, but the wind blows up enough to make it almost impossible to get out to the best dive sites, which are small islands or rock outcroppings an hour's boat ride from the mainland."
could anybody confirm the presence of a strong wind late december (pacific coast - costa rica)?
thanks
regards

I have been to Costa Rica twice and loved it. Went once in February, i liked that time of year best even though it is considered low season. I thought it was better. The boat rides aren't that long 14 min. unless you are going to the Catalina or Bat islands. Have your friends pop some Seasick pills and get on with it. Dived charter i used was BJ's diving safaris. :07:

So we should pray for nice weather, bring a bunch of seasickness meds and have something elsa to do if the winds are high.

Batman,

I think U have got it. And I need to correct myself. I said earlier about Feb. being the low season. We did go in Feb. but it was July (low season) when I went the first time. I really like it in July the mountainsides and things were lush and green. Anway, have a super trip :monkeydan

Back
Top Bottom