First trip ever to Hawaii and I need recommendations for a full schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is actually going to be a workation trip, since my new job has a customer in my portfolio on Oahu. So, I've never been, and my gf has been before. However, together, we've not had a vacation together in over a year, and this will not be just a work and dive trip combined. It's a work meeting surrounded by overall enjoyment of the islands.

So, we fly LAX to Kauai on 04Nov. Kauai to Oahu on the 8th. Work meeting on the 9th. Flying to the big island on the 12th. Flying back to LAX on the 16th.

I know Hawaii diving is pretty famous for the night diving for the rays, but unfortunately, I'm only 30+ dives and OW certified. Would like to do only two days overall since we're planning to do a lot additionally, and my gf is not an active diver.

Would appreciate any recommendations - thanks!

On the big island Do the night dive with mantas or snorkel. We have approx your same level of dives.
You go out at dusk. Divers from Boats from all the dive shops are all in a circle around the "campfire" (lots of lights pointed up) snorkels on top looking down. Divers are overweighted and sitting on the sandy bottem.
The mantas come to eat the plankton that are attracted by the lights.

This was the coolest dive we have done. You have a diver master from your boat to watch over you. After doing this we want to get our night diving classes done sometime (before it was never)

We used Kona Diving Company and liked them.

+1 on the manta dive, the 2 tank dives will usually do both tanks at the same site, 2nd tank being the mantas
@+/- 30 ft. Kona Dive Company or Jacks are the shops I like. Shore or boat for the rest of your dives?

Dave

Having done the manta several times, and lots of other diving on the Big Island, if there were any conflict, I'd for sure opt for a couple of daytime dives over the dusk and manta dives. The mantas are an amazing experience - if they are there - but in truth pretty one-dimensional compared to what else is available. What else do you want to get out of your brief Hawaii diving opportunity?

There's nothing scuba-challenging about the manta night dive - just make sure you've got an extra 10+ lbs of lead so you can stay put kneeling or sitting on the bottom (30 ft if I recall) should there be any surge - but only you can guess whether the unfamiliarity of being underwater at night might make you uncomfortable. The presence of lots of other divers helps with orientation and at least some level of light.

Having done the manta several times, and lots of other diving on the Big Island, if there were any conflict, I'd for sure opt for a couple of daytime dives over the dusk and manta dives. The mantas are an amazing experience - if they are there - but in truth pretty one-dimensional compared to what else is available. What else do you want to get out of your brief Hawaii diving opportunity?

There's nothing scuba-challenging about the manta night dive - just make sure you've got an extra 10+ lbs of lead so you can stay put kneeling or sitting on the bottom (30 ft if I recall) should there be any surge - but only you can guess whether the unfamiliarity of being underwater at night might make you uncomfortable. The presence of lots of other divers helps with orientation and at least some level of light.

So, you're saying that I'll still be able to do the night dive without the AOW cert?

I'm not aware - and would be surprised - that the charter ops impose any cert requirement beyond simple OW, but I'm a long time customer of the op I go with. You could certainly contact a couple of the main ops - Big Island Divers, Jack's, Kona Diving (?), Honu - or whichever you're considering, and ask.

It's really a pretty benign dive site (referring to the airport site, which I believe is still the favored spot) and surge is likely to be the main challenge, and that ranges from zero to no-go. In my limited Kona charter experience, Big Island Divers at least, is pretty conservative about diving spots when there is significant surge.

The few times I've done either of the traditional manta sites - down in Keauhou or up by the airport - there was little if any current, like most Kona sites (until you get out farther, nearer the downslope). Given the location of the airport site, I'd be surprised to hear they ever have current.

If you do go for the manta dive, I'd recommend the two tank twilight version if you can. Twilight can be a special time for wildlife viewing, and you may see mantas then as well. During the manta dive, don't forget to look around at the other divers, and behind the crowd. There can be a lot of other action that goes mostly unnoticed. One time doing the manta dive down at Keauhou, a small school of medium sized jacks was working around behind us for a time - they are magnificient animals.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom