First time with UW Camera, how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a Oly 5060 camera with Ikelight housing. I attached (at least I hope, never done this before) one of my better pictures. How did I do? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

In my opinion it looks nice..but, again i'm no photography expert and i'm also a beginner. nice though

this picture wasn't as bad, but it seems like a lot of my pictures came out with a blue tint everywhere. Any suggestions on how to rid that? btw.. thanks!

Get much, much closer.

The rule of thumb is, if you can't touch it, you shouldn't shoot it.

Of course my wife doesn't follow that rule at all, she ends up with quite a few blue shots, and she loves the hell out of 'em.

gerardnealon:
I just got a Oly 5060 camera with Ikelight housing. I attached (at least I hope, never done this before) one of my better pictures. How did I do? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I am a terrible photongrapher. Having said that, it looks like you aren't using a strobe. That would help a lot. If you are using a strobe, you are way too far away. Either way, you need to be much closer. A wide-angle lens would aid considerably with this type of shot as well.

Detonate and RTodd,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will try and get much closer next time. Strobes are so expensive so It will be a while before picking up one of those.

gerardnealon:
Detonate and RTodd,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will try and get much closer next time. Strobes are so expensive so It will be a while before picking up one of those.

Digital cameras are pretty good at macro shots. Focus on those while you don't have a strobe and you will proably be happier with your pictures.

RTodd:
Digital cameras are pretty good at macro shots. Focus on those while you don't have a strobe and you will proably be happier with your pictures.

This may sound like a really dumb question, but I am very new to photography. What is a macro shot?? Do you mean no close ups? Trying to figure it out based on the word, sounds like taking shots of the "big picture". If that is the case, i dont think that would work well in NY since the "big picture" is brown!! :wink: Thanks again.

gerardnealon:
This may sound like a really dumb question, but I am very new to photography. What is a macro shot?? Do you mean no close ups? Trying to figure it out based on the word, sounds like taking shots of the "big picture". If that is the case, i dont think that would work well in NY since the "big picture" is brown!! :wink: Thanks again.

Macro = really close up shots of small stuff. (I know, it seams like that should be a micro shot.) Before digitals it is what the vast majority of amateur photographers shot because it was much easier to set up the camera for this type of shot and just leave it there. It is still the type of shot that most people get better pictures taking. Plus, you will be able to get some light from your internal flash on the subject. Best bet is to put every diving dollar into a strobe when you are able.

RTodd:
Macro = really close up shots of small stuff. (I know, it seams like that should be a micro shot.) Before digitals it is what the vast majority of amateur photographers shot because it was much easier to set up the camera for this type of shot and just leave it there. It is still the type of shot that most people get better pictures taking. Plus, you will be able to get some light from your internal flash on the subject. Best bet is to put every diving dollar into a strobe when you are able.

hahah its like an oxymoron :wink: thanks for the great advice. I got a pretty good shot of an eel close up... if you ask me I think i got a little too close. I will upload it now and post it up....

Back
Top Bottom