First time to AK next year a couple of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tunaman68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed to AK for our first time to Roatan in Feb.

Can someone walk through the 'very general schedule for the week' if we arrive on Sat am at around 10:30am from DFW?

We are also curious about the shark and dolphin dives and how/where they are run.

I'll also be reading past threads! Thanks all!

Just returned from our first trip to AK on July 3 and loved it. If you arrive on a Saturday at 10:30AM, expect to be stuck in customs for at least an hour or two. They act live they're surprised that a couple planes full of people just arrived on a Saturday morning. The queues form, and then they decide to turn on their computers and log in. Once you're through the airport, all good. AK has somebody there with a sign to greet you. Have a $3 local beer outside customs while you wait for all the AK customers to clear customs. Our favorite beer was Salva Vida. You can take it with you on the bus to the resort (about 20-30 minutes away). Check in and head to the dive shop on the pier, where they'll assign your locker and dive boat (you'll be on the same boat with the same crew all week if you go Saturday-to-Saturday).

Dive boats go out 3 times a day - 8:30AM, 10:30AM and 2:30PM. Excellent dive operation - very efficient. Most dive sites are 5 to 10 minutes from the resort. Night dives go on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The shark dive is optional for $115 per person and AWESOME. It goes once or twice a week depending on demand. Very well organized and safe. It's a 30 minute dive to 70 feet. You'll spend 15 or 20 minutes swimming with Grey reef sharks, 5 minutes watching them feed, and 5 minutes looking for shark teeth. The day we went, there were 15 sharks.

They have 18 dolphins in a natural pen on the property - you can snorkel with them for $100 but you can't dive with them. However, sometimes you can luck upon wild dolphins - we did on our way back from the shark dive - captain stopped the boat and we all jumped in and swam with about 50 wild dolphins!

BRING BUG SPRAY! No skeeters but the no-see-ums will get you if you walk on the sand without protection. Not nearly as bad as some people report - just spray your legs and feet, especially if you are staying out on the key.

We are definitely going back...

Just returned from our first trip to AK on July 3 and loved it. If you arrive on a Saturday at 10:30AM, expect to be stuck in customs for at least an hour or two. They act live they're surprised that a couple planes full of people just arrived on a Saturday morning. The queues form, and then they decide to turn on their computers and log in. Once you're through the airport, all good. AK has somebody there with a sign to greet you. Have a $3 local beer outside customs while you wait for all the AK customers to clear customs. Our favorite beer was Salva Vida. You can take it with you on the bus to the resort (about 20-30 minutes away). Check in and head to the dive shop on the pier, where they'll assign your locker and dive boat (you'll be on the same boat with the same crew all week if you go Saturday-to-Saturday).

Dive boats go out 3 times a day - 8:30AM, 10:30AM and 2:30PM. Excellent dive operation - very efficient. Most dive sites are 5 to 10 minutes from the resort. Night dives go on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The shark dive is optional for $115 per person and AWESOME. It goes once or twice a week depending on demand. Very well organized and safe. It's a 30 minute dive to 70 feet. You'll spend 15 or 20 minutes swimming with Grey reef sharks, 5 minutes watching them feed, and 5 minutes looking for shark teeth. The day we went, there were 15 sharks.

They have 18 dolphins in a natural pen on the property - you can snorkel with them for $100 but you can't dive with them. However, sometimes you can luck upon wild dolphins - we did on our way back from the shark dive - captain stopped the boat and we all jumped in and swam with about 50 wild dolphins!

BRING BUG SPRAY! No skeeters but the no-see-ums will get you if you walk on the sand without protection. Not nearly as bad as some people report - just spray your legs and feet, especially if you are staying out on the key.

We are definitely going back...
Awesome thank you!!!

If I were you, I'd cancel the trip and rebook somewhere like Bonaire or the Keys. Food was overpriced and terrible. Diving was OK & cheap. Sewage and trash on the island caused me to have an ear infection from hell. The bugs were awful, we were prisoners of our room after 6pm. Every morning walking to the dive shop smelled like hot trash. It got better by around noon, but it never went away. Trash on the shore, trash underwater. Have I made my point yet?

In general, people were less friendly than on other islands. Safety was a concern, can't leave anything on the beach.

Also the dolphin dive is run by Roatan Institute of Marine Sciences- completely out of the way from West End or West Bay. You'll end up just diving from your resort. If that's AK, then you might have easier access.

If you do end up diving, the shining gem of the island was Reef Gliders. Great quality gear with integrated weights, knowledgeable and safe instructors/DMs. Convenient and good restaurant onsite for your SI. Dive sites within 10min boat ride of dock. Showers.

If I were you, I'd cancel the trip and rebook somewhere like Bonaire or the Keys. Food was overpriced and terrible. Sewage and trash on the island caused me to have an ear infection from hell. The bugs were awful, we were prisoners of our room after 6pm. Every morning walking to the dive shop smelled like hot trash. It got better by around noon, but it never went away. Trash on the shore, trash underwater. Have I made my point yet?
Wow - sorry you had such a bad time. Are your comments really directed at Anthony's Key (the topic of this thread)? Because my experience there was 100% the opposite.

Wow - sorry you had such a bad time. Are your comments really directed at Anthony's Key (the topic of this thread)? Because my experience there was 100% the opposite.
They're directed towards the island in general. Its just not a place I'd recommend when other locations are so similar without the negatives that I mentioned. I do not understand the charm or the hype around this island and I think it's really talked up way too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom