First time shooting U/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coop85

Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from the BVI and I took my new 8080 with Ikelite housing and a single ds-50 strobe. This was my first time shooting underwater and here are some general observations:

1) The advice I received from others (f3, calypsonick, etc) about knowing the camera well before the dive was spot on. I would add that I spent some time shooting around the house with the housing, but I should have done more.

2) The zoom control on the Ike housing MUST be rotated correctly before going to depth. It is possible to lift and rotate the control on the surface/shallow, but at depth, VERY hard to lift.

2a) On a similar note, the zoom control must be re-centered after use. If you don't, the shutter won't fire, and it can be hard to track down the problem.

3) When switching from super macro to normal, the zoom does not return to a wide position. This caused me to miss a couple of shots (I know, the LCD shows realtime, but due to current I wasn't always able to compose with the LCD).

4) The battery in the 8080 worked great. It isn't as convienent as AAs but I brought along a 2nd battery and just swapped after each day. Most days were 2 dives with one a 3-dive and the batteries were never a concern.

5) I need more practice positioning the DS-50. I should have gotten it closer in for super macro.

6) The camera takes a long time to record raw images. So long in fact I missed the reef shark that cruised by and left immediately. Oh well.

7) I should have practiced with my gloves before the dive. They were too thick to operate the controls (the buttons on the back are very close together) and I ended up diving with no gloves. I have since purchased much thinner gloves that work well.

Here are some of my shots:

Staghorn-Coral.jpg

Reef-Shot.jpg

Christmas-Tree-closeup.jpg

Blue-things.jpg

Angel1.jpg

Thanks again for your help and I appreciate all comments,

Eric

Nice going. I like the compositions. Keep taking pics and posting for us to see.

You could have fooled me! Great light balancing, blue water and fill lighting! Its just as if I were diving too!

Now I know why they call it the "Show Me State" !

Back
Top Bottom