First time reg buyer: some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Houngan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I really like what I'm reading about this company. Industry experience goes off on their own, not paying an arm and a leg for advertising, etc., and great impression by regular community instead of magazines and websites. I've had nothing but good experiences with similar situations in other areas, so I'm ready to buy.

But, I don't have a reg right now, so I can't measure things! I had an old Sherwood rig but traded it off for some work. Looking at the configurator on the site, can I get some advice on:

1. Hose length. I'm 6'2", if that matters, wear a Large BC, I'm thinking 40" hoses on the primary/secondary
2. Inflator length. No idea, what's "standard?" for a Large BC? Would getting a long inflator hose eventually cause it to be a nuisance at the first stage or over the shoulder?
3. How fast can it ship to Kentucky? I'm heading to Roatan next Saturday.

Otherwise, I'm thinking chrome/black and orange/yellow on the secondaries, I really like the orange but it freaks me out a bit to have an octo the same color (or less brightly colored) than the main reg.

Hey Houngan welcome to the board! I'm sure someone with more experience can come along and get you straight, but I can at least tell you what I went with for my setup.

Primary second stage: 24"
Octo: 40" yellow
SPG: 24"

The hose lengths for my second stages have worked well for me so far. I probably could have gone a little shorter on the primary even. The inflator hose will depend a bit on what BCD you dive. I tried the 22" on my Scubapro Knighthawk and ended up having to replace it with a longer hose. I've been running my brass and glass spg over my left shoulder to chest d ring, so the 24" length has been good for that. But if you use a console I'd imagine you might need a longer hose.

1. I recommend following DIR or DIR-esque hose routings. 40" hose on primary is done with an angle adapter that you'll have to purchase separately and your height doesn't matter. Your secondary would then be on a 22" hose without an adapter and would be on a necklace. BC doesn't matter for this.

2. that is BC dependent and your BC should have come with an appropriately sized inflator hose when you bought it. If it didn't, put the BC on, and measure from the QD to the first stage. 24" is "normal" for recreational BC's, most with bp/w's use 22" or sometimes shorter.

3. it should get to you before your trip since @cerich should be back from Cave Country-they were sponsoring a big cave diving event this past weekend

4. don't worry about hose colors or second stage colors. Get what you think looks cool and if they match, that's OK, most of us have matching second stages with no issue

I would highly recommend ordering a doubles regulator set so you have a spare first stage if you are travelling. First stages are unpredictable little buggers, and having a spare first stage is a great insurance policy to ensure you don't have to rent a regulator and miss a dive or two while you are travelling.
Deep 6 Signature Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators
I'd also recommend going to Dive Gear Express and ordering an IP gauge which is a required tool IMO for all divers, especially those that own their own regulators

Hey Houngan welcome to the board! I'm sure someone with more experience can come along and get you straight, but I can at least tell you what I went with for my setup.

Primary second stage: 24"
Octo: 40" yellow
SPG: 24"

The hose lengths for my second stages have worked well for me so far. I probably could have gone a little shorter on the primary even. The inflator hose will depend a bit on what BCD you dive. I tried the 22" on my Scubapro Knighthawk and ended up having to replace it with a longer hose. I've been running my brass and glass spg over my left shoulder to chest d ring, so the 24" length has been good for that. But if you use a console I'd imagine you might need a longer hose.

Thanks, I was planning on getting their console (I'm getting a computer too, but I love analog gauges) but that's good info on how the inflator hose lengths worked for you.

1. I recommend following DIR or DIR-esque hose routings. 40" hose on primary is done with an angle adapter that you'll have to purchase separately and your height doesn't matter. Your secondary would then be on a 22" hose without an adapter and would be on a necklace. BC doesn't matter for this.

Thanks Tbone, a question about the above: I'm not aware of what DIR is, apparently it is a guideline informed by the tech community and highly experienced divers? Sounds like a good thing, but could you dumb it down one more step to what I should configure on the page for the hose lengths? I would want to avoid anything that would require altering the reg as it shows up, since I have a trip coming very soon, but if it is a better setup and would only be mildly annoying until I got the adapter, I could go for that.

Also, 22" seems really short for an octo in the situation where someone else is using it. Is that no longer considered a factor?

@Houngan if you are purchasing a computer, then I wouldn't get the console. They are very annoying compared to just an analog pressure gauge. The analog depth gauges aren't terribly accurate, and if you really want one, there are wrist mounted ones that are easier to you

Thanks Tbone, a question about the above: I'm not aware of what DIR is, apparently it is a guideline informed by the tech community and highly experienced divers? Sounds like a good thing, but could you dumb it down one more step to what I should configure on the page for the hose lengths? I would want to avoid anything that would require altering the reg as it shows up, since I have a trip coming very soon, but if it is a better setup and would only be mildly annoying until I got the adapter, I could go for that.

Also, 22" seems really short for an octo in the situation where someone else is using it. Is that no longer considered a factor?

I'm not sure that @cerich assembles the regulators for you, but if you ask nicely, he may.

if it were me.
Black primary
40" primary
Black secondary
22" secondary
Brass and Glass SPG
24" HP hose
"choose a selection" since you don't need a drysuit hose.

Accessories
Swivel is available from here. Edd can get it to you before your trip with no problem
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
IP gauge is available from Dive Gear Express which can also get to you before your trip, but their website is currently down for maintenance

Need to make a regulator necklace, which is shown here. Simple piece of bungee is all you need. Available from REI, Home Depot, wherever. Nothing special about it.

For regulator setup. This shows how the streamlined open water setup is typically done. Couple ways to do that, I prefer the second way this video shows somewhere around the 3 minute mark.

With the long hose setup tbone is referencing, you would donate the reg you are breathing with and switch to the backup on the bungee just under your chin. That way you are still donating the 40" hose to the out of air diver.

With the long hose setup tbone is referencing, you would donate the reg you are breathing with and switch to the backup on the bungee just under your chin. That way you are still donating the 40" hose to the out of air diver.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

I assemble the regs when I ship unless a tech style package where the hose lengths ordered make no sense to me, then I assemble and test and assume they know how they plan to configure.

Back
Top Bottom