First Time Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We have talked about diving Bonaire for years and haven't managed it yet. In large part, we are a bit intimidated by the "how to get there" portion of the trip.

Can anyone offer RECENT air travel experiences? Is there more than a single carrier option? If so, is one more "diver friendly" than another with regard to gear handling and baggage allowances?

Thanks. (Google is full of opinions from folks who traveled 15 years ago ... or have never been. We are hoping for first hand information.)

Where are you flying from, how much time do you have? Can you spend the night somewhere on the way out and back if needed?

We are east coast USA. We would rather spend our money on another boat dive than on a direct flight so we can make the time if it adds to affordability.

Nyc generally has better/best prices compared to Philly or Baltimore. Mid week to Weekend, making it like a 10-12 day stay also helps with prices.
Boat dives are not required but I would recommend you do 2-3 two tank trips Klein/Klein or Way North/North would be my preferred itinerary. Staying at a resort or VRBO?

You could also try the Curacao/Puddle jumper option, usually saves a couple bucks but we travel with 5 so it can be iffy getting everyone over. Curacao out of JFK can be dirt cheap.

Nyc generally has better/best prices compared to Philly or Baltimore. Mid week to Weekend, making it like a 10-12 day stay also helps with prices.
Boat dives are not required but I would recommend you do 2-3 two tank trips Klein/Klein or Way North/North would be my preferred itinerary. Staying at a resort or VRBO?

You could also try the Curacao/Puddle jumper option, usually saves a couple bucks but we travel with 5 so it can be iffy getting everyone over. Curacao out of JFK can be dirt cheap.
Thanks ... we are still in the planning stage but I think this is the year for this trip. This info is very helpful!

November is cheap!!!!!
Screenshot_20240926-125620.png

We have talked about diving Bonaire for years and haven't managed it yet. In large part, we are a bit intimidated by the "how to get there" portion of the trip.

Can anyone offer RECENT air travel experiences? Is there more than a single carrier option? If so, is one more "diver friendly" than another with regard to gear handling and baggage allowances?

Thanks. (Google is full of opinions from folks who traveled 15 years ago ... or have never been. We are hoping for first hand information.)
Just got back from Bonaire a month ago. Flew American PHX-MIA-BON and back. American has always been the cheapest option from PHX. Delta goes to BON from ATL. And United sometimes goes from Newark or Houston.

Coach allowance on AA is 50 pounds per bag. If you fly 1st Class, you get 70 pounds per bag (and 2 free checked bags per person). We've been lucky, but American failed to put one of our friend's bag on the Wednesday flight. It showed up on the next flight (Saturday). AA only flies there from Miami on Saturdays and Wednesdays, so don't miss that 10:30AM flight from MIA to BON! We always get to MIA the day before and spend the night so we don't miss our flight.

The direct flights to Bonaire are from Atlanta (delta), Miami (American), Houston (United), and New York (United from EWR and Jet Blue from JFK). Not all flights are every day, in fact a number are once or twice a week only. Use an information site like Google Travel to find your flights, then book directly with the airlines.

Also, if you’re in the NYC area, Jet Blue is still running great specials as part of their new direct flight. I just checked Nov. 9-Nov. 16 and it was $718.26 for 22 people, Blue Extra.

Back
Top Bottom